Sota Glazing has the contract for the re-cladding, I work for Bass Installation. Its a unionized labor force that Sota deals with. Its scheduled for spring install, maybe late spring by the looks of it. You see they "Metro Hoisting" have to erect their man and material hoist to the top on all elevations before Clifford Masonary can start the removal of the marble. After the clips or lugs have been installed we will move in and install the large glass panels working from top to bottom in a cork-screw fashion off of a multi tierd work platform. (pretty cool stuff!!) At the moment I'm across the street working on the cladding for the Trump Tower. Off to a slow start there as in every project i've ever worked on. Got to work out the bugs of the system. Its a product made in China, arrives in B.C. is then railroaded to a Brampton C.N. yard then trucked to us "Bass" we have a storage facillaty on the waterfront in the east end of Toronto. A few kilometers from site.

Hey 721irnwrkr, welcome to the forum!

Is it typical for architectural glass glazing to be made in China?

^ I guess it comes down to $. Almost anything is cheaper to manufacture in China. What amazes me, is that it's still cheaper despite the substantial shipping and handling cost over that distance.

It's really uncommon, especially in Toronto when so many glass companies are in the city (or just outside it). The only other example that comes to mind was the ground-floor glazing at 550 Wellington, which was also shipped over from China

I really think we just need to stop having so much stuff manufactured there, and give more jobs to Canadians.

I think you mean pay a lot more. I really don't see why we shouldn't use a Chinese manufacturer if they can provide a cheaper price. We have our specialties and they have theirs. I do get that locally is more environmental efficient but, I imagine that is largely overlooked by the underlying xenophobia.

Trade can also be a deterent for future strife which should saves a few trees or more.

I think you mean pay a lot more. I really don't see why we shouldn't use a Chinese manufacturer if they can provide a cheaper price. We have our specialties and they have theirs. I do get that locally is more environmental efficient but, I imagine that is largely overlooked by the underlying xenophobia.

Trade can also be a deterent for future strife which should saves a few trees or more.

It's nothing to do with xenophobia, it's about the giant growing hole in the labour market that has been created in the last 15 years for our next generation which continues to accelerate rapidly. I really worry for our future as more and more of our middle income jobs disappear to cheap overseas products and labour.

I really worry for our future as more and more of our middle income jobs disappear to cheap overseas products and labour.

Agreed. Isn't this what the americans have done with a lot of their middle-class jobs? Outsource them and left this void in place instead?

I think it's shameful that businesses conspire to drive the costs as low as possible to improve their profit margins at the expense of people here, making them poorer and depriving them of any real meaningful income. I think it's extremely short sighted and mean-spirited.

If the end goal is to ensure that nearly everyone here makes far less, then what of the loss revenues through taxes that pay for services? The disposable income that gives people the freedom to spend? The disposable income that generally powers our economy?

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with xenophobia, it's about the giant growing hole in the labour market that has been created in the last 15 years for our next generation which continues to accelerate rapidly. I really worry for our future as more and more of our middle income jobs disappear to cheap overseas products and labour.

That's exactly it.
You say something about all of the manufacturing in China, and the loss of jobs here, and people automatically label you as a racist.
We can't compete with Asia and their cheap labour. Unless we all want to start living in shacks too.

Back