Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Stouffville K-12 Multi-Use Facility (Blessed Chiara Badano Catholic Elementary School and St. Katharine Drexel Catholic High School) is a 3-storey elementary school, secondary school, child care centre and sports facility designed by CS&P Architects for the York Catholic District School Board on the east side of Ninth Line, south of Meridian Drive in north Stouffville.

Renderings via the project website:
download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download (4).jpg

download (6).jpg

download (3).jpg

stouffville-multi-use-facility-artist-rendering.jpg

Construction progress as of June 2022
download (5).png

download (8).png

download (7).png

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 90
Always want to appreciate @Paclo plumbing the depths of ex-urbia for projects for us.........

But wow is that awful.

Just the site plan alone should get several people fired.

Let me get this right, there's a bus loop between the building and the road; there's surface parking on two sides of the school and between the building and the playing field, there's a non-permeable hardscape, they're actually planning for portables for a brand-new building, and it's ugly as all get out? Did I miss anything?

they're actually planning for portables for a brand-new building,
I will note about this, all schools are required to be designed with a viable area for where portables can go. I was thrown off by this the first few times I saw plans for schools, but it's only to show that there is room for them if needed.

On another note, I can say as a fairly recent high school graduate that there is nowhere near enough space here for the amount of students that will be on the property. I went to a very large high school, close to 2000 students. The school itself is big and we (the students) had loads of space to spread out- the school is connected to a community centre which we were allowed to access at lunch, as well as a massive park across the street. We were also allowed to hang out on and around the football field and track unless there was an event going on. Catholic schools almost always keep their field locked unless it's being used for sports.

It's also not just at lunch, after school was always hoppin', with sports and band practices and just people hanging out. Even with staggered dismissal times it's still going to be a nightmare around the whole area in the afternoons. I think this whole design is just highlighting the tendencies of catholic school boards caring more about money than student wellbeing.

Reactions: JBR
Photos from google maps from September 2023 and this K-12 new school will set to open in September 2024 school year
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg

Back