Yep, got that, thanks. Just didn't know if there was also a full(er) drawing set available somewhere.

I'm only inferring the second floor hallway running along the north edge from this rendering:

OneYorkEntryE872.jpg

Attachments

• OneYorkEntryE872.jpg
    OneYorkEntryE872.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,565
PATH really needs a more eye catching logo, it can be hard to spot the entrances and it doesn't exactly help visitors figure out that it's an underground mall.

PATH really needs a more eye catching logo, it can be hard to spot the entrances and it doesn't exactly help visitors figure out that it's an underground mall.

Agree, the current logo is a mess. Do we really need to spell it out in letters, which meant nothing anyways? They should aim for a logographic that communicates compass points. I am thinking reusing the four colours in a modified diamond form could work.

AoD

There's a great chapter about about the PATH system and its logo woes in Robert Fulford's book Accidental City.

Something really has to be done to improve navigation in the PATH. I thought there were plans to do that? Recently I was with a group of friends, and we wanted to walk from Union subway station to Eaton Centre. We opted not to take the subway since most of them didn't have a metropass. However none of them except me were aware that it's possible to walk to Eatons underground without going out in the cold. So I lead them into the PATH, and almost immediately I couldn't figure out where to go next. Signs were either useless or nonexistent. There was a useless TTC employee who was helping direct people between St Adrew to Union during the weekend subway closure. He just told us to take the subway, unaware that the PATH was also an option. The group sensed that I was getting lost, and they slowly started walking back where we came from. We only made it as far as Royal Bank Plaza. Thanks to the bloody PATH, we froze out asses for 15 minutes on Bay street by the time we walked to Eatons centre. It was slightly embarrassing, since I had a reputation among these people for knowing the city well and always knowing how to get anywhere (whether it's by car, transit, or bike). But obviously I still haven't figured out the PATH yet, and I rarely use it anyway.

Something really has to be done to improve navigation in the PATH. I thought there were plans to do that? Recently I was with a group of friends, and we wanted to walk from Union subway station to Eaton Centre. We opted not to take the subway since most of them didn't have a metropass. However none of them except me were aware that it's possible to walk to Eatons underground without going out in the cold. So I lead them into the PATH, and almost immediately I couldn't figure out where to go next. Signs were either useless or nonexistent. There was a useless TTC employee who was helping direct people between St Adrew to Union during the weekend subway closure. He just told us to take the subway, unaware that the PATH was also an option. The group sensed that I was getting lost, and they slowly started walking back where we came from. We only made it as far as Royal Bank Plaza. Thanks to the bloody PATH, we froze out asses for 15 minutes on Bay street by the time we walked to Eatons centre. It was slightly embarrassing, since I had a reputation among these people for knowing the city well and always knowing how to get anywhere (whether it's by car, transit, or bike). But obviously I still haven't figured out the PATH yet, and I rarely use it anyway.

The PATH system is just like a highway, if you wanted to go to Detroit from TO you need to know to follow the signs '401 to London' then '401 to Windsor'
before you will see signs for Detroit. PATH system you need to know Union to TD Centre, to First Canadian Place, to Scotia Plaza, to Bay Adelaide, to The Bay before you
see a sign that says Eaton Centre.

There are phone and tablet apps for the PATH system that, with GPS turned on, will direct you to your destination. There are also maps posted on the wall between most buildings.

I hope, and suggested as much in the survey, that the new above ground wayfinding project could be applied to PATH as well. It would create a unified navigation scheme for the city (if they could replace the TTC's middling efforts as well that would be a dream). I'm really impressed by the pilot they have up at Queen/Bay, I'd love to see it applied elsewhere and PATH seems like an ideal candidate.

The new retailer(s) that will fill this void will be definite game changers for this community.

Take a look at the PATH Master Plan from 2012. Lots of good ideas but not much action, the maps are still confusing and the pointers not very visible.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=8ea70621f3161410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Thanks DarkSideDenizen. I was hoping it wouldn't get lost in the fast-moving discussion. :)

Seconded you can barely tell that is Toronto! I'd love to see one of those front page "throw back thursday" posts of this angle in like '05 haha

I sympathize with your experience. The trick to use the PATH is to know exactly which office buildings you would need to go through. Know where they are doesn't help much because there are missing links and often there is only one way to get from point A to point B.

I only recently learned how to go from Union to Eaton Centre, after messing it up for half a dozen times. Trust me it is not your fault. It is really confusing!

Back