Actually, I was not referring to aerial photographs at all, but instead the numerous oblique map drawings that were drawn as if from a considerable height in the air.

I have a book, the "Historical Atlas of Toronto", that is full of old maps and aerial overviews. In particular, there are bird's-eye views drawn in 1876, 1884, 1889 and 1893, that depict a rapidly growing city, becoming noticeably larger and more heavily industrialised with each successive image.

Thanks for that info. Guess I was a little too hasty in my initial remark.

As much as I might like the pictures of the THC building on the water, I wouldn't like to see it moved. I agree that it would be too expensive, and would deprive the building of its authenticity.

And ultimately, that's what it comes down to--expense and logistics, which point out the inherent vanity of the exercise. It's better to leave it be, with a bow to lesouris' excellent post.

Not that moving is *always* out of the question: consider the RCYC ferry building at the foot of York, which was modest and "portable" enough for the exercise to make sense...

So the site is 2.5 acres and if used for residential, could very possibly acquire 12X coverage, - given floor plates of 10,000 square feet (just for example) we are looking at the potential of 131 stories. Likely two buildings of say 70 and 60 stories but what if......

There is actually a sign up on on the building now on the site that says it's available to develop. Not sure if this is news or not.

It just dawned on me that 90 Harbour and 120 Harbour are two totally separate tall building proposals......until now, thought it was a single site.....

In the last couple of days I noticed a crew oparating a soil drilling machine on site.
Yesterday they drilled on the lawn beside the enterance, and today on the
west parking lot beside the building.
A truck is still parked in front of the main entrance, I guess they havn't finished yet.

In the last couple of days I noticed a crew oparating a soil drilling machine on site.
Yesterday they drilled on the lawn beside the enterance, and today on the
west parking lot beside the building.
A truck is still parked in front of the main entrance, I guess they havn't finished yet.

Sounds like soils tests - someone is clearly putting together a proposal.

Sounds like soils tests - someone is clearly putting together a proposal.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 110475 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jan 20, 2011

Project: Office Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing five storey office building.

The sign of the times....goodbye sweet pea.:)

harbourstreet90.jpg

This is not surprising for me. There was an RFP a couple years ago seeking redevelopment ideas for the site. If I recall correctly, the recommended design was a 3 tower on podium design of some sort (I could be mistaken).

The existing building is an impediment to the sale of the property. Any logical land owner would do the same thing. Prospective buyers do not want to get caught up in a dispute over the use of or the demoition of the old building. Its much cleaner and easier to sell the site without the building. I'll bet that once the building is gone, there will be an announcement about a majore deal on the site - in fact, its removal may well be a condition in an unannounced conditional deal. That's what I would do.

Last edited:

Back