wegrasasas.JPG
weggfvea.jpg
wefaavs.jpg
regvawes.JPG
wefewfa.jpg
wefawefafw.jpg
ewfawdfsa.jpg

With it not being all alone in a empty area

I imagine you're certainly right that MOCA would appreciate some added local foot traffic, but have you been to the area on a nice summer day? It's almost always teeming with people -- the Drake usually has a line out the door, Henderson's is almost always at capacity, and there's some other extant retail as well.

Having been by Sterling Road most recently on a weekend afternoon in February, I can indeed verify that there is a good amount of patrons for the MoCA and popular nearby retail spaces (Photos linked below). 213 Sterling, the warehouse on the north side has also gone through a substantial upgrade and now houses a variety of employment uses.

That entire area will be dramatically different in the upcoming decade with the developments along Sterling and moving northward to Bloor. KingSett made an announcement earlier this week about the block stretching to Perth, while Lamb had reportedly acquired properties to the east.

I imagine you're certainly right that MOCA would appreciate some added local foot traffic, but have you been to the area on a nice summer day? It's almost always teeming with people -- the Drake usually has a line out the door, Henderson's is almost always at capacity, and there's some other extant retail as well.
I was at the Bansky thing a year or two ago in the industrial building beside it and was expecting the area to be a little more busy. Although now that I think of it maybe the MOCA wasn't open yet.

I do recall hearing that the MOCA doesn't even use every floor inn the building. So hopefully more foot traffic will lead to more visitors and then more space for ART!

Any upgrades to an empty dirt field will be good for it so I am excited! Will definitely have to go on a nice summer day to see what you mean. Thanks

I was at the Bansky thing a year or two ago in the industrial building beside it and was expecting the area to be a little more busy. Although now that I think of it maybe the MOCA wasn't open yet.

I do recall hearing that the MOCA doesn't even use every floor inn the building. So hopefully more foot traffic will lead to more visitors and then more space for ART!

Any upgrades to an empty dirt field will be good for it so I am excited! Will definitely have to go on a nice summer day to see what you mean. Thanks

Yeah, don't get me wrong: I personally find MOCA to be wholly underwhelming in its current iteration, and it could certainly do with a big bump in traffic and memberships, and this area is certainly closer to the beginning of its current-ish round of gentrification than its end (whatever that might mean). But there is indeed a nice-but-small extant collection of both interesting retail and commercial that combines to give the area around MOCA a nice little vibe in the warmer months.

The area will benefit from the planned infusion of additional commercial and residential tenants (but needs a complete public realm and pedestrian safety-oriented overhaul), and I'm excited to see how it all develops over the next 5-10 years.

Nestlé could open a KitKat confectionary store in the area, especially given that the factory there isn't open to public tours.

One of those "boxes" has 5 sides to it though.

Reactions: xy3

Back