Can't believe that just a few years ago that horrible Cantina Charlie's used to defile this spot.

It served its purpose for what the district was at the time.

What I can't believe is that Adam Vaughan built a multi million dollar homeless shelter in what was to become prime corner real estate in a new neighbourhood. I know that homeless shelters have to go somewhere and nobody wants them in their neighbourhoods but this is the most idiotic choice of location.

It served its purpose for what the district was at the time.

What I can't believe is that Adam Vaughan built a multi million dollar homeless shelter in what was to become prime corner real estate in a new neighbourhood. I know that homeless shelters have to go somewhere and nobody wants them in their neighbourhoods but this is the most idiotic choice of location.

If I recall correctly - this was actually Olivia Chow's project - she got it approved and started. When Olivia decided to run federally Adam became the councilor and inherited the already underway project.....

Nobody wants it in their backyard, but it's not that bad. Were they not more clustered before, and that resulted in a worse situation? Seems like it's better to spread them out and give a fair share to each neighbourhood.

There are two issues floating around here--whether we should spread out shelters in general, and whether this location in particular is the best choice for one. The former should be given a definite 'yes'; the latter is an open question. I agree to feeling that this corner would have been amazing for something interesting to be developed. On the other hand, I'm inclined to believe that, for the people using this shelter each night, it's important that they feel they're part of the city, rather than consigned to the dreary outskirts.

As well, the shelter would have been planned and built when this area was still club central and thought of as unlivable except for the homeless, who might have been willing to put up with puke, douchey drunks and loud music. I doubt anyone saw this area being so desirable for living, especially pre-Festival Tower. So really this was a perfectly respectable decision at the time and only later circumstances have made it look like a bad idea (though I see no issue with the shelter here myself, the homeless can be afford a small piece of prime real estate for once I say).

As someone who lives nearby and passes the shelter nearly every day, I can assure you it's "fine."

That said, I wonder if it could be improved with some retail space (perhaps employing or offering job training to residents) and/or a higher density addition.

Yesterday:
IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4877.JPG
    IMG_4877.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,641
  • IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,581
  • IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_4871.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,581
It's unfortunate that the corner panels weren't aligned more neatly (without the overlaps). Other than that, this is arguably the finest building in this boom, next to The Florian, in terms of materials and execution.

I wonder why the didn't begin the decorative black 'bracing' on the first balcony floor? And yeah, good eye on the corners. That is a bit unfortunate.

Back