I like the podium and entrance with it's huge green sculpture.
Tableau_Podium.jpg

I really like the looks of base of the building BUT it does look like death to the street-level to me.

I know I'm late to the discussion, but is that the current structure under there? Where I believe Embassy nightclub is currently located? If so I think this is a respectable looking development.
What about the pizzaville building? Will that be demolished? Or was it carefully left out of the render?

I'm not sure what this city is more adamant about killing, surface lots or nightclubs.

Wallman definitely has more drama than Clewes - a good thing. That podium is pretty gosh darn awesome.

Rudy seems to be really getting inspiration from a truly structural skeleton form and you're right, he is on a roll. Very refreshing!

That podium looks like it will completely overwhelm the street. I'm all for the height. But the base seems better suited to King/Bay than Peter/Richmond.

Last edited:
That podium looks like it will complete overwhelm the street. I'm all for the height. But the base seems better suited to King/Bay than Peter/Richmond.

Maybe the way it looks like right now yes, but there's this little thing called planning, and what the area is going to look like in the future.

With that logic, why even impose height restrictions? In the future, Toronto will likely be a forest of massive skyscrapers, so why not plan ahead and start planting a bunch of 1000 footers in all of our downtown neighbourhoods right now. Hey, it'll probably look like that sometime in the future anyway!

That said, I actually really like this proposal, but I'm afraid that all the beautiful old warehouses are going to become tacked-on facades for larger projects one day. I don't care for the clubs, but I love the intact district of 19th century/early 20th century warehouses that have remained generally unmolested in the area. Let's hear it for gentrification though, I guess.

Apparently, prices will begin around $540/sf, with 80% of the units priced less than $400,000.
It's a sharp looking building nicely sited, and being more reasonably priced I'm sure it will be another nail to Mercer Condo's coffin.

While the podium/covered entrance is grand and impressive (looking like an entry to a large office tower and large enough to be a functional porte-couchere), it seems like a waste of valuable real estate. If they could make it work, it would be a nice addition to that area.

Back