^^

The last time I was in Manhattan (1.5 years ago) I was so sick of all the corporate retail. All you see is Old Navy and the Gap. All the cool, independent stores are gone. It's just so overwhelmingly corporate, it's like a trip to Yorkdale. The worst thing is, the Gap and Old Navy, sell the exact same clothing in NYC, as they do here, so why would I want to shop there? Times Square has become so boring and bland. Sure, it's got the bling but retail wise, it's completely conventional and corporate. If Yonge Street just becomes lined with the same bland, retail as a typical shopping mall, it's not going to worth it. I want to see unique, creative, independent stores on Yonge Street and throughout the city.

Totally agree with you on Manhattan. Even Soho has seen a huge increase in chain stores over the last decade. Yonge Street is on it's way of becoming like Manhattan. With the increase of generic corporate stores along with big box stores ( Bed Bath & Beyond, Marshalls ) You will be seeing more of the unique independent stores moving away. It wouldn't surprise me if the people at Target are looking for a spot to sandwich in a Target store in the downtown.

I think at some point (I can hear the screams now) that one of these towers will have a Walmart in it. Maybe not 501 Yonge but one of them...

Left coaster at SSP basically confirmed it a little while ago after someone mentioned it here. It's not officially public, but a couple of insiders on these boards have mentioned it.

I think at some point (I can hear the screams now) that one of these towers will have a Walmart in it. Maybe not 501 Yonge but one of them...

Walmart is evil, it destroys towns and then provides poverty wages to the former business owners that it displaces. I can't imagine the negative impact it will have in this area.

That would be a nightmare; another reason for new retail spaces to be as narrow as possible.

What's wrong with the narrow spaces at Aura? They'll be packed in a few years if the businesses that set up shop are as seedy hipster oriented stuff currently on Yonge. That way, Yonge can become clean and "corporate," while all the filthy "retail" joints can move underground. Being next to the sewers might even add some synergy to the mix. Everyone's happy :)

What's wrong with the narrow spaces at Aura? They'll be packed in a few years if the businesses that set up shop are as seedy hipster oriented stuff currently on Yonge. That way, Yonge can become clean and "corporate," while all the filthy "retail" joints can move underground. Being next to the sewers might even add some synergy to the mix. Everyone's happy :)

So nail salons, used CD/DVD shops & book stores, health food stores, cafes, hair cutting places, art supply stores, alternative independent clothiers, adult novelty shops/adult entertainment venues, "rock" shops, Internet cafes, chain food dispensaries and I'd bet 70-80 independent restaurants between Bloor and say, Gerrard Street are seedy and deserve to be close to sewers? Get a grip. Downtown Yonge Street's problems are not retail, it's the condition of many of the buildings, sidewalks that aren't wide enough, aggressive development and lack of a vibrant nightlife scene in the past decade or so. The smaller shops in the basement of Aura will take time to fill up and eventually find the right mix of tenants and probably do well when the PATH is connected sometime in the future.

I think many of you guys are being naive here and totally forgot basic economics.
Unless the independent small retail is incredibly innovative, competitive, offering products that big chains can't, and also making great profit margins, they simply can't survive the business environment on Yonge st. The rent is gonna kill them.

You can't have a small T-shirt shop selling essentially the same stuff as Gap and FCUK just at higher price on downtown Yonge. Today many of the small retailers may not be chain, but they are equally boring. The key is what products they offer, not whether they are big corporation or not. If a cornor store simply sells stuff they have at Walmart, why don't I just shop at Walmart?

Walmart is evil, it destroys towns and then provides poverty wages to the former business owners that it displaces. I can't imagine the negative impact it will have in this area.

Yes, it does. BUt from a business perspective, a Walmart connected to the subway (say at Aura) would be a smart location.

ew the base looks like a filter for a forced air system. cant we have a nice six story red brick podium anymore, like on St. Joseph except retail?

Can't say I am a fan of brick. It has its place in a broader palette of exterior coverings but pure monotone brick is plain ugly and boring.

^^
Brick is a hell of a lot nicer than glass. When was the last time you heard someone call an all glass podium, charming?

Back