Obviously this doesn't apply to the 501 plot, but couldn't there be a solution that integrates the heritage buildings - as well as the traditional streetscape, which has always varied from 2-6 storeys - with a higher density and scale?

5ive is obviously a starting point for this discussion. As far as I understand, the heritage buildings will be retained and the condo will be in behind, with a kind of alleyway separating the two.

But what if the heritage buildings acted as some kind of entryway or extended atrium for an extended structure behind them? This structure would not have space between the buildings, but would make them one and the same building, allowing for preservation and intensification. There could be a six to eight storey step up behind the heritage buildings, leading to towers of various heights above and behind that.

Or there could still be a gap, with a kind of park in between the new and restored heritage complex a la 5ive.

Either way I believe this compromise enhances the streetscape without ruining it. Other examples to follow in Toronto are the department of economics building at the U of T on St. George street, or the Royal Conservatory of Music on Bloor.

I lived in London at about the time you were last there. It was definitely on the dull side, if not exactly dead. I have been back on occasion since then. If anything, the place has actually gone downhill in the intervening years. I would still argue that Yonge and Richmond (in London) share many of the same features and that the difference in perceived vitality has more to do with context. Yonge has the advantage of being in the middle of Toronto, whereas Richmond has the disadvantage of being in the middle of London.

There is nothing particularly bad about a low rise shopping area in itself, but I feel that it is now wrong in scale for Yonge St. The fact is that Toronto is a very big city, and rapidly becoming bigger. We should be embracing that fact with vigor. I argue that maintaining an old-timey, small town scale along Yonge denies it.

Objections to 501 have mostly been centered on it's scale because, at this point, we have little else to go on. But large scale does not equal bad. As a case in point, consider the new Loblaws complex at MLG. This is exactly the kind of large and sophisticated development we need more of in the city. Both the scale and the sophistication of this project would not have been viable in Toronto 20 years ago, to say nothing of 100 years. But Toronto has now grown into the kind of city where this is appropriate. Now Loblaws is on the scale of a Big Box store, which is presumably the worst of all possible things. But, far from being awful, it's actually great. It does not follow that large scale = anti urban. So objecting to 501 and similar developments along Yonge soleley on the basis of their scale is unjustified. Other factors need to be evaluated before a judgement can be formed but, so far, scale is the only factor we know. And as far as that factor goes, I believe that the scale of 501, while it may not be exactly right, is at least trending in the right direction for a street like Yonge in the 21st century.

And you know what, they way you're going about this, you ironically sound like a small-town yokel from out London or Sarnia way who's sorely disappointed by anything in Toronto that doesn't match your fantasy of Capital City glitter and glitz...

And you know what, they way you're going about this, you ironically sound like a small-town yokel from out London or Sarnia way who's sorely disappointed by anything in Toronto that doesn't match your fantasy of Capital City glitter and glitz...

This would also explain those who insist that Yonge is our one and only "main street", like some tiny hamlet's shopping district that has to impress visitors from the countryside.

It scares me when people start throwing around words like "upscale" and "classy" as reasons to change Yonge. These are not things cities can force upon their streets without them becoming tacky or so of-the-moment, that they look faded and stale 10 years later.

Last edited:
Some ppl were whining about the height of the podium here being inappropriate. Well guess what I saw today?

To the left of the strip here, literally about 4 Victorian buildings and one hideous 4s 70s thing away, a pair of approx 10s buildings rising straight up from the sidewalk! Pretty scary, eh!

048pr.jpg

I think the folks who live in that building directly behind this lot--a condo?--are the nimbies complaining! :p

To the right, or south, another "podium."
047xf.jpg

Ha! Remember, these are all horrible-looking buildings, whereas aA is not known for deadening the streetwall with precast hulks.... For example, minutes later found me on Charles E, admiring the podium of Casa. It was so beautiful I forgot the condo tower was high above!

Keep in mind these photos were taken a stone's throw from Murano, Burano and the other Bay St towers.

Some ppl were whining about the height of the podium here being inappropriate. Well guess what I saw today?

To the left of the strip here, literally about 4 Victorian buildings and one hideous 4s 70s thing away, a pair of approx 10s buildings rising straight up from the sidewalk! Pretty scary, eh!

Those were government buildings both converted to condos in the 90's, take five of them and place them side-by-side and that's what we'll have on the 501 site, a long city block between Maitland & Alexander Sts.

I think the folks who live in that building directly behind this lot--a condo?--are the nimbies complaining! :p

Some of the complaints are coming from the Cosmo in behind (no, I don't live there nor near this site). Imagine having that long, tall parking podium built about 25-30 feet away from your window, two towering buildings above blocking afternoon sun and a 99% increase in vehicular traffic alongside the building all day & night? It's being built pretty close, that's all I'm saying and it will negatively affect the immediate neighbourhood dramatically not to mention north downtown Yonge.

They aren't podiums, they are two hotel Marriott Courtyard hotel buildings which share a one storey podium. Think they're OK? Take 10 of north hotel and stack them up side by side and plop them on the 501 site, that's about what we'd get.

Ha! Remember, these are all horrible-looking buildings, whereas aA is not known for deadening the streetwall with precast hulks.... For example, minutes later found me on Charles E, admiring the podium of Casa. It was so beautiful I forgot the condo tower was high above!

The Casa podium is beautiful to be sure, but there's no retail there and it's a point tower with a corresponding lobby beneath and, IMO, built in appropriate location. No comparing Casa to this site.

Keep in mind these photos were taken a stone's throw from Murano, Burano and the other Bay St towers.

More than a stone throw, they're on Bay Street, where tall proposals like this are appropriate - and welcome.

God I hate that 501 Yonge retail strip!!
The scamming hookah/shawarma shop, and especially the urban clothing store w/ that guy that hollers at everyone "Hey Buddy Deals For You Buddy".
I wont be sad to see these shops gone.. but pray it's in a different bldg than what's proposed!

I have always loved the tacky urbanity of Yonge St. - and it has always played a big part in defining what Toronto is, for sure....but I think Mississauga Slim has raised an interesting point....assuming we have some ambitions of becoming some kind of 'world' city (whatever that means)...

Is there any 'world' city that has, as its main thoroughfare, a selection of 2 storey small shops/restaurants/etc? I would think all the big ones are much denser, even in the European capitals the storey count would be 6-7 storeys , wouldn't it?

So I wonder how this will play out in the long run....just to reiterate, I am not trolling in any way, I've enjoyed the walk up and down Yonge for decades now, just wondering if that urban model will work as the city grows in its own image of importance...I think that if we accept higher densities, we must be very, very careful to preserve the foot traffic and retail interaction that exists today.....

Just a thought..

The Old Arbat Str in Moscow is a good example: centrally located yet probably the only remaining street with 1-2 storey building intact. The street went major overhaul in 80th and it is now a pedestrial-only street and a major tourist attraction:

IMG_9422.JPG

A friend of mine is looking for the city's .pdf on this development. I've lost track of what the link is. Does someone have it handy?

Thanks!

I think this condo should be called Blue Jeans Condo.... Even the design kinda looks like a pair of 501's upside down... This building could me made to look like a pair of jeans... just saying... it has the address and potential.

I think this condo should be called Blue Jeans Condo.... Even the design kinda looks like a pair of 501's upside down... This building could me made to look like a pair of jeans... just saying... it has the address and potential.

I can just imagine the annoying radio ads that would use David Bowie's Blue Jean. "Everyone's jazzing for Blue Jean!"

The Levi's Towers with a Levi's Store in the base. Kitchy...

My imagination says: Use some dark cladding around the above ground parking level to create a belt… and create the buck-buckle by using a LED jumbotron.

And dark blue glass... and we have a pair of upside down jeans... with that current design by Lanterra.

048pr.jpg

047xf.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I hope everyone now realizes there is nothing "historical" about all these buildings and nothing can be worse than what is seen now. There is absolutely nothing there that is worth keeping.

Back