Livability and architectural design is unrelated don't you think? I also don't find Vancouver more livable either despite every list that says so. It's my preference of course but I'm not that into the resort look for a downtown area. (does every complex need a water feature and garden?) I like the hard urbanism we have here. The alternativel, our greener streetcar suburbs, make everything off the peninsula look like a greener Don Mills..

Vancouver design is based on stringent rules and regulations that simple modernist lines are bad. It's complete forced and usually turns out unnecessarily busy and confused. Too often you see an otherwise exceptional building ruined by fuss and doodads. The Erickson comes to mind with the dozen glass canopies thrown willy nilly. Of course, there are a few around here that would gladly apply this here.

That is the one major fault with Vancouver regulations- their strictness creates repetition and a feeling of sterility.

Still, I don't see why some of their rules couldn't have been applied here- in the Waterfront area, for example.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen asserted on this site.

I thought it was quite clear I ment design in the decorative sense. Massing, scale, useage is much more applicable to livability. Vancouver is hardly a place to seek out architectural design eventhough it tops most livability charts.

The blank walls presented by Shangri-la, Fairmont, or Capitol Residences bases/podiums which steer away from the block long townhome bases are certainly something worth admiring. On the other foot, Vancouver still builds mixed-use mid-rises as well. It's not that they excel at them either, they are just easy to get right.

May 10, 2011.

5708789086_49b6cf76ee_b.jpg

Amazing shot, amazing building. One of the best in the last 10 years.

possibly crash wall ??

Not with standard metal studs and drywall. Security comes to mind.

Was hoping for glass wall as it would give you a good view of the station as well the skyline.

Yeah, it's a shame that the view is completely blocked. Pulling into the downtown core is the best part of the train ride. Watching the trains pull in from the street is cool, too.

Yeah, it's a shame that the view is completely blocked. Pulling into the downtown core is the best part of the train ride. Watching the trains pull in from the street is cool, too.

Indeed. And from that vantage point they'd probably have a great view of the new glass canopy.

Pity.

April 26
Just got the camera back on Tuesday from it 3rd repair. Nikon should have gave me a new one, since it is only 9 months old and the amount of work that was done to it. Still a focus issue and was ready to drop this camera, as most of the shots where a waste of time, but the best I could get.
6988921058_506f06714c_b.jpg

7135005687_d9ff0f2a72_b.jpg

6988918828_a16a13c706_b.jpg

6990091932_f7ecd24d07_b.jpg

Back