The great sense of arrival at ACC will be lost..I always liked the dramatic sight of the ACC with the spotlights on sporting event nights..now it will be crowded in and lost with the bulky podia of the Maple Leaf "Square" towers.

I disagree. I was at the dome last night too and took some time to look out the window towards the ACC. As you can see from Marcus' picture, the podium of Telus and the tower are both set back from the street a considerable distance. I believe the podium for MLS will also be set back to give Bremner a pair of wide sidewalks. This avenue will enable that sense of arrival and might actually enhance it given the fact that you're not surrounded by parking lots, honking cars and lot attendants. If anything, the steps from York to the ACC along Bremner will be greatly improved.

I disagree. I was at the dome last night too and took some time to look out the window towards the ACC. As you can see from Marcus' picture, the podium of Telus and the tower are both set back from the street a considerable distance. I believe the podium for MLS will also be set back to give Bremner a pair of wide sidewalks. This avenue will enable that sense of arrival and might actually enhance it given the fact that you're not surrounded by parking lots, honking cars and lot attendants. If anything, the steps from York to the ACC along Bremner will be greatly improved.

The steps to and from the ACC along Bremner are already enhanced and construction isn't even close to being completed yet. I have been to 2 events in the last few months at the ACC and have noticed there is a different feeling as you walk to and from the ACC. The area directly out front of the ACC now acts as a square, where everyone hangs out before and after the games or shows going on at the ACC. There is no worry about cars entering and exiting, save for the occasional car parking in the ACC underground lot. At the end of every event, the crowds are funneled through Bremner, instead of dispersing through parked cars. Jay walking is pretty much eliminated and traffic moves much more freely since everyone is crossing at the York/Bremner intersection.

I expected the area out front of the new Union Station entrance to be larger... isn't that going to be "Union Square"?

PS. do we have an official rendering of what that new entrance to Union Station will look like? I've seen several different ones that were initial designs.

The great sense of arrival at ACC will be lost..I always liked the dramatic sight of the ACC with the spotlights on sporting event nights..now it will be crowded in and lost with the bulky podia of the Maple Leaf "Square" towers.

Sense of arrival? I found there was a sense of nothing. You had parking lots there.

Sense of arrival? I found there was a sense of nothing. You had parking lots there.

I am not quite sure what was meant either by the 'sense of arrival'. The great thing about all these new buildings is that they block the view of the less than decent ACC.

July 30

Crappy iPhone photos taken July 30

Includes pics of the Maple leaf towers too.

2720255221_ec928fd966.jpg

2721079616_ba200b6dc2.jpg

2720255697_941bc3afd6.jpg

2721079752_278ac21acc.jpg

I expected the area out front of the new Union Station entrance to be larger... isn't that going to be "Union Square"?

PS. do we have an official rendering of what that new entrance to Union Station will look like? I've seen several different ones that were initial designs.

bjhtdht.jpg

Wow, that Union Entrance is laughable. That's our grand train station. I'd like to think we get a bit better than glass and steel.

Yeah, it should truly represent Toronto, so therefore it should be made out of precast and stucco with ad hoc asphalt patches covering any gaps.

I love this design for a new south entrance to Union! looks ultra clean and modern and picks up on the styling cues of the Telus building. And no more walking through that nasty Bay St underpass for people coming in by train to see a Leafs game...

Agreed. Huge imporvement. The design of the new station entrance is wonderful - keep it simple stupid! (especially if there isn't money for anything grand at the moment...)

Back