There's nothing awkward about it... the podium is "heavier" and works to mimic its surroundings and its context. Sitting atop it is a glass, neo-modernist block which is set back from the corner (thus eliminating the point of having it "softened" with a 45 degree angle).

Awkwardness would be created by trying to make that angled corner continue up the entire height of the building, with all the setbacks considered.

The strong cornice feature on the corner of the podium would not look close as powerful if it had to compete with softened corners the entire height of the building.

Last edited:
Really loving this building, is there only 2 floors left? Is the entire bottom stretch along Front St going to be commercial space?

Agreed, can't wait to see this fully cladded. One floor left (13th floor shared with mechanical) and yes, the entire ground floor will be retail. The building entrance is at 55 Front street.

January 10th:

IHiRq.jpg

Nice roll today sMT!

They must be at the top of this building or the would have climbed the crane already. It's not comfortable having the hook block and wall forms in your face all day.

IMG_0413.jpg

A question from the rdaner post and pic of Jan 5 to any brick laying experts....why have they draped off the scaffold with plastic tarps for the laying of the exterior brick at The Berczy????

Nice roll today sMT!

They must be at the top of this building or the would have climbed the crane already. It's not comfortable having the hook block and wall forms in your face all day.

IMG_0413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful.
Why can't the St Lawrence Market model be copied elsewhere in the city except the financial district? This is what makes a city dense, vibrant, pedestrian friendly yet with plenty of room for breathing.

A question from the rdaner post and pic of Jan 5 to any brick laying experts....why have they draped off the scaffold with plastic tarps for the laying of the exterior brick at The Berczy????

As per the renderings the entire west side of the building was supposed to have a lighter cladding, however the last pic from SkyJacked shows black windows on the west side, at least until the 5th floor. are they planning to install black windows to all the floors on the west side?

Attachments

• urbantoronto-3824-11150.jpg
    urbantoronto-3824-11150.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 255
As per the renderings the entire west side of the building was supposed to have a lighter cladding, however the last pic from SkyJacked shows black windows on the west side, at least until the 5th floor. are they planning to install black windows to all the floors on the west side?

Hey Carturo15, I noticed this too. But they are actually using the light cladding but keeping the dark glass treatment they used on the brick portion. You can see a closer example of the light cladding with dark windows on the 3rd floor on the EAST side above where the public art piece will be.

Hey Carturo15, I noticed this too. But they are actually using the light cladding but keeping the dark glass treatment they used on the brick portion. You can see a closer example of the light cladding with dark windows on the 3rd floor on the EAST side above where the public art piece will be.

The light cladding will start on the 8th floor on the east side once the brick podium subsides.

The light cladding will start on the 8th floor on the east side once the brick podium subsides.

I don't think this is correct as the light cladding started on the 3rd floor to help transition the change in material. This can be seen in the picture Atlantis took a few threads back - http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8278594457_a507bae023_b.jpg

I am now wondering if the dark glass for the lower and upper portions have to do with the platium LEED status.

I don't think this is correct as the light cladding started on the 3rd floor to help transition the change in material. This can be seen in the picture Atlantis took a few threads back - http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8278594457_a507bae023_b.jpg

I am now wondering if the dark glass for the lower and upper portions have to do with the platium LEED status.

Sorry, I was generalizing. There are a few stories on the east side at the corner that have the light cladding above the 6th floor lower-height brick podium and the small inset you point out where the public art will be located. See the renderings to get more of an idea.
berczyupdated.png

Sorry, I was generalizing. There are a few stories on the east side at the corner that have the light cladding above the 6th floor lower-height brick podium and the small inset you point out where the public art will be located. See the renderings to get more of an idea.

Thanks 400WellingtonGuy. Looks like the light cladding will indeed have dark glass vs. the lighter glass shown in the render. Will be interesting to see everything together in 6 months.

Thanks 400WellingtonGuy. Looks like the light cladding will indeed have dark glass vs. the lighter glass shown in the render. Will be interesting to see everything together in 6 months.

Actually, the rendering I believe shows the same glass, it's just an illusion that there is a difference because of the frame colour. I am still waiting to see some brickwork exposed - that will hopefully be a great day!

Back