And Sutton Place looked no better. Next.

Next what? Sutton place at least can claim dignity, clean lines and being representative of its' time. This is a pile of **** that managed to get stone to look cheap and uninspired while giving us some of the worst of period spandrel.

AoD

I never really liked 'Sutton Place' architecture either. However as they say. To each their own.

Freedom of speech. Your opinion is not my reality

Freedom of speech doesn't make 1+1 = 3 true, or that this building is more thoughtful or worthy from an architectural perspective than what, TD Centre. You can like it - that's your prerogative, but that doesn't insulate this building or the preference for it from critique.

AoD

Freedom of speech doesn't make 1+1 = 3 true, or that this building is more thoughtful or worthy from an architectural perspective than what, TD Centre. You can like it - that's your prerogative, but that doesn't insulate this building or the preference for it from critique.

AoD

This building, as now construed, is certainly worthy of criticism.

I too can't stand the spandrel; I also find the side view of the podium w/the balconies a jarring mishmash of styles.

For all that, I can't stomach a favourable view of Sutton Place either. It was overbearing, bulky, cold, sterile and to the vast majority of people unappealing. (this fora is the first place I've ever seen someone imply something nice about it, from an architectural perspective) .

Sutton Place's podium was awful. Terrible. The tower, though, had lovely lines and proportion, architectural integrity, and yup, dignity.

The Britt's podium on its own is a big improvement. The tower, though, has been junked up like it's hard to believe, and has lost every shred of integrity and dignity.

Sutton Place's podium was awful. Terrible. The tower, though, had lovely lines and proportion, architectural integrity, and yup, dignity.

The Britt's podium on its own is a big improvement. The tower, though, has been junked up like it's hard to believe, and has lost every shred of integrity and dignity.

The eastern half of the podium - definitely; the street level of the tower proper used to be a lot cleaner though - before they went with the awful looking arch windows and faux classical touches.

AoD

Pic taken Feb 7, 2019

fullsizeoutput_2051.jpeg

Back