I also believe that most area residents would approve of new developments to revitalize this section. 2 Gladstone is already a promising first step. I remember how dreadful and dodgy this area looked a few years ago. The elimination of Dufferin jog has helped make this area relevant again. Those warehouses and auto garages will not be missed.

I know many people that live in this area--in SFHs on mature residential streets--and they are disgusted by all these proposals, buildings and the type of people and noise they attract.

I love progress, but an old Victorian still can't be beat for charm.

Sad....Why close to the tracks, dont developers incorporate into their projects a bit of industrial space to house these artists.

Losing Parkdale celebrates area woodworkers
Exhibit focuses on disappearing space to accommodate craftspeople

There is vibrancy and buzz that comes with a concentration of arts.
"It provides a heartbeat for the city when you have a concentration of artistic talent and creative talent," said woodworker and longtime west end resident Joel Robson.

Parkdale has it, Robson said. It has a passion and a spirit that draws people in, but that vigor is on the verge of being altered - at least as far as his woodworking community goes, he said.

Robson has been creating his art in his south Parkdale studio for the past 14 years. It is a large warehouse/storage space and Robson rents a portion of it. But it's getting increasingly rare to find a space large enough to accommodate woodworkers and other craftspeople and artists who need square footage to create.

These spaces are an ideal footprint for real estate development," Robson said. "It is just a matter of time."

Parkdale was one of the last inner city havens for artists working with wood, who more often than not, require somewhere in the vicinity of 1,000 square feet to accommodate their supplies and machines.

There were industrial spaces to be had, but with every new condo building that creeps it's way west, that becomes less and less the case, Robson said.

Artists haven, 48 Abell Street, was recently demolished to make way for new development. A large buildings that stretch between 440 and 444 Dufferin Street and house many artists and a woodworking co-op has given tenants notice that they will come down in the next two years or so.

Even Robson's building, just south of Queen and Dufferin streets, is set to be sold.

More............http://www.insidetoronto.com/what's on/article/1283117--losing-parkdale-celebrates-area-woodworkers

Gee...i wonder if that property just south of Queen and Dufferin streets is a future 2nd phase site of "TACT Design-Q Lofts"

Last edited:
I know many people that live in this area--in SFHs on mature residential streets--and they are disgusted by all these proposals, buildings and the type of people and noise they attract.

I love progress, but an old Victorian still can't be beat for charm.

There are a fair number of immigrant families who bought their homes in this gritty stretch, worked like hell, and made it home. It will be good to see them cashing in. New developments along this stretch must of course respect the adjacent SFH environments but Dufferin homes themselves are pressed right up against the road. When Dufferin was widened (does anyone know when?) the city created an uncomfortable situation that would be nicely remedied by tower infill.

^Yeah I agree with your assessment, I'm talking about the area between Ossington and Gladstone where many Portuguese are selling to yuppies who put a lot of money into renovating their homes. It's these new generation of homeowners who are pissed.

I read somewhere Dufferin was widened when the B-Danforth subway line was built, so whenever Dufferin Stn opened suddenly Dufferin saw a surge in bus and vehicular traffic. c.1960s?

I don't live in the area but I would be militantly against anything that was 24-storeys anywhere near my neighbourhood. So I certainly don't judge anyone for feeling the same about their neighbourhood.

I have no qualms at all with developments in established neighbourhoods that are 8-storeys or less so this is not a development or density issue.

Thanks for linking to the report. I think, if properly done, could be a net benefit to the nabe. I note how the buildings are tallest to the south and shortest at the north, which at least is a nod to the old residental areas to the north and east. There's provision for an attractive gateway to the Railpath extension.

I used to live a few blocks to the north, and I'm okay with this particular proposal.

Dufferin (south of Bloor) did not have any bus service until 1960, and the only regular transit service on Dufferin before that within the City of Toronto was the Harbord streetcar on the short jog from Hallam to Lappin until 1947. The Ossington trolley bus was busier until at least the 1970s, when travel patterns began to favour Dufferin over Ossington.

Last edited:
I am surprise that the scrap yard at the south end is not part of this plan since it has been clear 100%. This is next to the rail corridor and next to another scrap yard still operating.

The buildings other than the south end were built between 1880-90.

The lane-way will be an issues for access to these buildings, as you still have truck going to the far west side that have to make a 90 degree turn 3/4 south of the side street.

I see nothing wrong with this development considering what there now. I lived on Florance St, as well Gladstone as a youngster and attended the school there.

Give the area another 50 years and most of those single homes will be gone, especially west of Dufferin.

Last edited:
Here are the actual pics :)

yAwvP.jpg

WTQ19.jpg

7hGfR.jpg

Those renderings look great. This project looks really well planned out and should bring new life to this area.

Back