One dude didn't seem super happy that I took these progress pics lol
1000000664.jpg
1000000663.jpg

Rapid fire! Great to see this underway. Absolute ginormous building permit value (for the Hammer anyway)issued (think I saw that of SSP).

im just curious, what is so "Design" about the Design district?
I mean to a degree, it might just be a name. They may be trying to sell it as a designer development with their name brand furnishings?

There's nothing about the property that is particularly "design". The 1911 Fire map shows a temple, plumber supply and houses on majority of the property.

I mean to a degree, it might just be a name. They may be trying to sell it as a designer development with their name brand furnishings?

There's nothing about the property that is particularly "design". The 1911 Fire map shows a temple, plumber supply and houses on majority of the property.
I'm almost 100% sure it's just a name. Like "Artists Alley" in Toronto, like what does that mean haha

Could be one of two things (or both):

1. It’s in reference to the Louis Vuitton furnishings. High quality interior design, you might say. Quite a cut above for Hamilton too.

2. They’re trying to not-so-subtly make the area itself known as “The Design District”.

I can buy into this as a marketing idea. Any concept of a “district” in Hamilton that has some flair is welcome. Not that we don’t have character or informal districts, but we like to get caught up in reviving what “was” or improving what “is”. So, a genuinely new place is refreshing.

If the direction here is to go from the Void district to the Design district as a built-from-scratch neighbourhood spearheaded by Emblem, then I’m here for it. This part of town really is a void and some direction would go a long way in making it less forgettable after it’s all said and done.

Worth noting this is also probably the highest quality design in Hamilton for a condo short of anything by Core Urban. So they definetely can claim it’s about the architecture too, even if it’s only relative.

The building across the street at 127 Hughson St North was the Firth Brothers Clothing Manufacturing Building, then Copley (Suits) bought it.

It’s now being converted into a co-work space.

There really wasn’t a fashion or even clothing manufacturing district here, so it’s merely a marketing gimmick.

Back