"We actually designed this building to be intentionally soul sucking; it's very presence being a motivation for escape from monotony and inspiration for grand achievement. We are creating the leaders of tomorrow." - Gabirel Bodor probably

The legacy of Toronto’s brutalist past is captured perfectly with this development. The colours chosen were sampled directly from the post-war apartment facades.

Utter failure in the approvals process if this steamer snuck its way through. A literal reincarnation of everything wrong with Torontos past.

This development perfectly showcases how unsophisticated, how unambitious, how absent the desire to innovate is within Torontos development community.

A monument to our mediocracy.

Hundreds of people for years to come, will start and end their day by having this depressing environment rob them of any joy. They will spill out of here each day, like so many of generations past in this city, eager to venture into more vibrant parts, then dread their return back to this soul sucking hinterland. They’ll look enviously towards the residents of the galleria, wondering why their home is so bad in comparison. They’ll attempt to quiet their inner critiques, reminding themselves that they should be grateful that they have a place to live. Alas life must go on, just another crime without justice. One of them may set off to school each day, dreaming of what could have been, vowing to build the homes they so desperately wished they could live in. And perhaps in the distant future, this person will go on to have a successful career building visionary homes, amassing great wealth. They then decide to take that wealth and purchase the development they grew up in, razing it to the ground then building upon the site the home they wished they had. Perhaps then justice will truly be served.

I appreciate this thought provoking and well articulated take. The decision to go with cladding colour scheme to nearly match the enigmatic and long-troubled apartment tower at Lansdowne & Dupont truly shows the negative initiatives that this developer/architect tandem had in producing this outcome. They had a blank slate to create a new southern bookend to this community, but instead of something refreshing or even marginally more inspired they chose to make an ode to the tower diagonally on the other side of the train tracks.

I appreciate this thought provoking and well articulated take. The decision to go with cladding colour scheme to nearly match the enigmatic and long-troubled apartment tower at Lansdowne & Dupont truly shows the negative initiatives that this developer/architect tandem had in producing this outcome. They had a blank slate to create a new southern bookend to this community, but instead of something refreshing or even marginally more inspired they chose to make an ode to the tower diagonally on the other side of the train tracks.
That makes this so much worse.

I have no opinion on the aesthetics but I will say that this reminds me of a lot of projects in the outer areas of basically every city in Europe and Turkey.

Back