The excavation had begun along the north edge of the site (along King E.) to approx. 1.5m below grade, but has since stalled and it appears there is more archaeological work happening today.

Yes, Front east of Jarvis has several 'vacant lots" and most of them have plans.

154 Front Street East (ex Greyhound). Cityzen proposed to build two 26-storey towers joined by a bridge. This was approved by the OMB, over City and neighbourhood objections. They are still haggling over details.

177-197 Front Street East. This is the Acura-Sobeys site at Front/Sherbourne/Princess/The Esplanade. Current proposal is to have three 34-storey point towers on a 10-storey base building with residential and commercial uses. This is not being very well received to date (see UT thread). God knows what the final result will be but undoubtedly something will go on this huge block.

250 Front Street East. This is the Staples site and it was recently purchased by a condominium developer (Greenpark Homes. No plans announced and Staples apparently still have 5-7 years left on the lease.

271 Front Street East. This is the First Parliament site and will be redeveloped in 2017 into a new St Lawrence Library, more parkland and some sort of 'museum'.

There are a couple of other smaller sites like the small parking lot at George and Front and the gas station and adjacent building at Front and Sherbourne that might be developed sooner or later. The data centre on Parliament just south of Front is under construction and the library processing centre at the corner of Front and Parliament is moving out soon. No doubt there will be a condo proposal for that site in due course, it now belongs to the data centre developer, swapped for the First Parliament site.

Great post, thanks for all that info. The St. Lawrence/Esplanade/East Front. St. area has a special place in my heart, as I spent a lot of time down there in my mid-20s because the band I was playing in had a practice space on the s/e corner of Lower Sherbourne/Esplanade (the old Siesta Nouvea building; since toasted).

It'll be really interesting to see it develop; I personally would love to live down there, I like the co-ops, and it's generally a good, safe, clean but also highly urban neighborhood.

Front st. really tails off around Sherbourne, so to see it pick up again all the way to Parliament would be great.

Photos from February 4th:

IMG-20140204-00091.jpg

IMG-20140204-00092.jpg

IMG-20140204-00093.jpg

IMG-20140204-00096.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20140204-00091.jpg
    IMG-20140204-00091.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG-20140204-00092.jpg
    IMG-20140204-00092.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG-20140204-00093.jpg
    IMG-20140204-00093.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG-20140204-00096.jpg
    IMG-20140204-00096.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 981
Has there been any mention of The Globe bringing the front doors from the current building over to the new building?

Has there been any mention of The Globe bringing the front doors from the current building over to the new building?
They moved them last time and did major repairs a few years ago so I bet they are moving them - not necessarily to be their new front doors.

I find it very fitting that the newspaper that George Brown founded will be headquartered near the college that now bears his name, as well as in the same part of town where the were originally located

I enquired about this a couple of years ago - they said that they were going to try to incorporate them as an aesthetic/historic element, not as the primary entrance doors because they simply aren't up to the task of the heavy service of being the main front doors. (this was when the previous Globe HQ's was still happening mind you)

I enquired about this a couple of years ago - they said that they were going to try to incorporate them as an aesthetic/historic element, not as the primary entrance doors because they simply aren't up to the task of the heavy service of being the main front doors. (this was when the previous Globe HQ's was still happening mind you)
This makes sense, in any case I bet they will not be sent to the scrap merchant! They could maybe be used (or displayed) in the indoor passageway that will run from King to Front

It looks like they've finally finished the caisson perimeter walls and can focus on excavation starting tomorrow.

Are there two separate buildings going up at approximately the same time? The Globe & Mail bldg on King and the other one at Front and Princess?

There's one building spanning the block from King to Front. There's nothing happening at Front and Princess

Are there two separate buildings going up at approximately the same time? The Globe & Mail bldg on King and the other one at Front and Princess?

You are still working on their initial proposal - an office building and a condo building. It is now only one (office) building.

Back