Absurd? Five, which is just across the street (and even further from Bloor), is 48 storeys.

Personally, I'm in favour of the entire University to Church corridor from Bloor to the Lake going highrise. Provided that heritage buildings are preserved, why impose arbitrary height restrictions?

Five is on the west side of Yonge. This is on the east side. Big difference with respect to shadowing and ability to setback tower elements from the street.

Five is on the west side of Yonge. This is on the east side. Big difference with respect to shadowing and ability to setback tower elements from the street.

How does being on the east side of Yonge make a difference with respect to shadowing? I understand that a tower on the east side would cast a shadow on Yonge during the morning, whereas a tower on the west side would cast a shadow on Yonge during the afternoon, but I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Last edited:
Do these anti-shadow advocates realize that some people want the shadow and purposely walk on that side of the street?

Interesting article by Hume, but the again there is nothing there that we haven't already discussed here on UT....maybe the guy even hangs-out here

Hume: Can old Toronto survive the new?

Like it or not, Toronto is a highrise city. According to a report issued late last year, more towers are under construction here — 132 — than any other North American city. The closest, Mexico City, had a paltry 88.

And so the question of heritage looms larger, if not taller, than ever. Every development project in the old city must be approached as infill, which means integrated design, architectural accommodation and planning sensitivity.

This is a lesson we have yet to learn, and as a result the city has been badly damaged. Though the worst excesses of the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s are behind us, heritage architecture is threatened at every turn.
More.............http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1248857--hume-can-old-toronto-survive-the-new

Yonge between Gloucester & Dundonald (49s)

7gloucester.jpg

Last edited:
If there's an existing thread, I can't find it.

This should probably be in a 7-9 Gloucester thread, I don't recall seeing one yet. Good find androiduk.

Will there be anything left of Yonge Street?

It's not Yonge Street, it's three beautiful row homes just east of Yonge that will get trashed. I like these "off Yonge" projects but losing beautifully maintained building stock like this is slowly chipping away and destroying this neighbourhood.

From Google Maps -
7-9Gloucester.jpg

Last edited:
^ The 2 houses on the right will be incorporated into the new building. The one on the left is staying 'as is' because the owner didn't sell.

They seriously can't find a parking lot or something to develop? I really don't see why this building should be torn down.

They seriously can't find a parking lot or something to develop? I really don't see why this building should be torn down.

it should be torn down because it is a piece of absolute junk. though having said that the row houses are quite nice. too bad they will be smashing those up.

Wait, what's being torn down? I thought only the rowhouses in the pic were going.

^ The 2 houses on the right will be incorporated into the new building. The one on the left is staying 'as is' because the owner didn't sell.

Thanks androiduk. This reminds me of the recent announcement of two similar large, beautifully maintained 3-storey detached homes (+/- 3,000 sq. ft. each) on the south side of Dundonald Street west of Church St. that a group is trying to sell off and develop as a condo. I think one of them was a B&B until recently.

dundonald.jpg

Everything on Yonge between Gloucester & Dundonald is coming down except for the building at the corner of Dundonald & Yonge I think. The row houses are staying except for the rear additions.

I like the south half of the block, too bad. I can't keep up with all the proposals anymore!

Everything on Yonge between Gloucester & Dundonald is coming down except for the building at the corner of Dundonald & Yonge I think. The row houses are staying except for the rear additions.

Thanks, that says it all...i think the demolition of the rear-additions is OK if they are going to incorporate it to the big picture.

Back