building-2.jpg
building-1.jpg

“The net result is very, very bold and spectacular. Those cantilevers are dramatic! You will see them while coming down Yonge Street at a significant distance; even before you get to St. Clair. And every time I look at them... they speak to me... and they say one thing: Look Ma, no hands!” - Mansoor Kazerouni, Architect, Global Director at Arcadis IBI Group.
Precisely what everyone barely holding on in some garbage 300sf studio with 4 elevators for 540 units is thinking: "man, but think about those cantilevers!"

Scheduled for Dec. 13, Cycle Toronto, Yonge4All, and other community groups plan to converge on City Hall to express collective concerns over the condo construction project at 1404-1428 Yonge St. The proposed plan aims to close the west sidewalk, southbound bike lane, a section of the southbound lane, and the northbound bike lane on Yonge Street for a 35-month period.

“The city should not be considering construction site plans that seek to close bike lanes and instead should close access to vehicular traffic on the city’s two subway lines to prioritize the movement of the majority of people,” said Alison Stewart, Director of Advocacy and Public Policy at Cycle Toronto, in a news release.

The community council for Toronto and East York forwarded the proposal to the Dec. 13 city council meeting without specific recommendations. According to the city report, pedestrian movements on the west side will be maintained through a minimum 1.8-metre-wide covered and protected walkway.

To address concerns about cyclist safety during construction, organizers plan to gather at City Hall at 8:30 a.m. for a news conference before the 9:30 council meeting. The initiative aims to emphasize the significance of accommodating diverse road users alongside urban development.

“Cycle Toronto and residents will be biking down Yonge Street to City Hall in advance of the city council’s last meeting of 2023 to demand that infrastructure be put in place to protect vulnerable road users throughout all construction,” stated the Cycle Toronto news release.

On the morning of Dec. 13, news broke that local city councillor Josh Matlow had worked with city staff and the developer to potentially keep the bike lanes and sidewalk open during construction. The new proposal will be announced at the city council meeting today.

Guys, let's get out of the boomer mentality and remove that ugly graveyard.
It's ridiculous that people think it's okay for a large graveyard like that to casually exist beside an urban center.
Imagine the density we can add to that prime piece of land

Uh, so you think it's normal for cities to build density overlooking a huge graveyard?
I guess it's fine for cities like Toronto that gave up their aesthetics, but not ideal
Why not? Saw similar set-ups in Tokyo when I lived in Japan. 🤷

We started burying our dead perhaps as far back as 100,000 years ago. This practice is the furthest you can get from a "boomer" cultural holdover. What a miserable take. The news may have told you to hate boomers, but it's a good idea to first stop and think.

Last edited:

Back