Nice update, thanks! Hopefully this will turn out better than their God-awful radio ad...at least that part is over.

January 10th:

AryCu.jpg

thanks for the update but i dont see any difference from January 10. have they done anything since?

I haven't had a look at the renders, and I don't mind that. Doesn't show much of the building, but it looks to meet the street really nicely.

Why do we continue to build store fronts set back behind massive pillars at grade? Walk down almost any stretch of Bay to see how this contributes to an awful pedestrian experience.

It's moronic. If shelter is such a must (it's not), those awnings would have been sufficient on their own.

Why do we continue to build store fronts set back behind massive pillars at grade? Walk down almost any stretch of Bay to see how this contributes to an awful pedestrian experience.

says who? I walk on that stretch of Bay daily, and love having protection from weather elements. It's nice to have wide sidewalks, as opposed to a mess we get with Yonge street. This is the only way to have wide sidewalks unless you are prepared to reduce traffic lanes significantly.

It's moronic. If shelter is such a must (it's not), those awnings would have been sufficient on their own.

I agree with you, but in this case the rendering suggests that the pillars at grade are not particularly massive - definitely not as imposing as the ones at ROCP. They may do a nice job of framing the retail units. I do keep hearing people complaining about retail units these days being nothing but long expanses of glass.

says who? I walk on that stretch of Bay daily, and love having protection from weather elements. It's nice to have wide sidewalks, as opposed to a mess we get with Yonge street. This is the only way to have wide sidewalks unless you are prepared to reduce traffic lanes significantly.

Huh? This doesn't really follow.

I assume you're walking down Bay just to commute for work then and generally not interested in the feel of the street as you're just passing through. Sure protection from the weather can be nice but as I pointed out, these large pillars are not the only way that can be accomplished.

And I don't understand how large pillars are a requirement for wide sidewalks? I'm not advocating pushing the store fronts right out to the street, just not hiding them behind wide piles of precast and/or brick.

And Ramako, the removal of pillars doesn't have to equate to a monotonous span of glass (although I realize in Toronto that is often the case). One could imagine if the pillars were "pushed" back into the facade, slightly protruding as to outline each retail unit. And of course countless other options exist.

Back