Branden Simon

Member Bio
Reaction score
McLeod Rd Stacked Townhouses - A proposed 5 x 3-Storey townhouses with 108 units designed by Organica Studio located on 5979 McLeod Rd in Niagara Falls Drummond community.

IMG_1726.jpeg
IMG_1727.jpeg

I'm trying to come up with something sarcastic to say about the parking lot but it's literally so bad I can't think of anything worthy of representing how vomit-inducing that land use is.

In regards to the parking, it may be a little excessive, however I will just play Devils advocate for a minute. This is not proposed in urban Toronto, it's being proposed in Niagara Falls which currently does not have incredible Transit services nor does it have 15 minute land use currently.
Should the proposal provide for residents needs as exists now, or construct based on the future residents ability to take frequent transit and have the ability to walk 15 minutes to provide for most of their needs and wants?
Posing question just to stimulate discussion

In regards to the parking, it may be a little excessive, however I will just play Devils advocate for a minute. This is not proposed in urban Toronto, it's being proposed in Niagara Falls which currently does not have incredible Transit services nor does it have 15 minute land use currently.
Should the proposal provide for residents needs as exists now, or construct based on the future residents ability to take frequent transit and have the ability to walk 15 minutes to provide for most of their needs and wants?
Posing question just to stimulate discussion

Not having decent transit is a product of an auto-centric culture that builds unsustainable crap like this proposal above. And it's not like St. Catharines-Niagara Falls is some small town. It's the 13th largest metropolitan area in the country. Instead of learning from the auto-centric mistakes of cities coast to coast, Niagara Falls wants to build more of it? Why build stuff that exacerbates the problem and will be difficult (and expensive) to fix down the road?

Develop like every sensible city: build TOD right from the get-go. You put the transit in at the same time as you put all the other infrastructure for new housing. Building stuff you'll only have to tear down or re-design later? That's just asinine and a colossal waste of time and money.

Last edited:
Niagara requires 1.4 parking spaces per unit for apartments. Which is all great and all until you realize actual demand is closer to 0.9-1 per unit. 30 percent of this parking lot will be empty.

Why build stuff that exacerbates the problem and will be difficult to fix down the road?
I agree with your principles, however in this proposal specifically, the parking in the middle could be redeloped into additional townhouses or even a small midrise condo/rental unit.

Back