Giving a little more help to corporations 😍

Nearly $4,000,000, plus w/e the Region contributes, to subsidize a multi-billion dollar pension fund, with good returns, making an otherwise profitable investment.

:rolleyes:

Yea, but if they can't get a healthy return they won't do the project, and it wouldn't get built, with developers continuing to build what is profitable - sprawl oriented properties on the edge of the city.

I'm not sure if this money is needed to make that return, but given that nobody has built an office building in MCC for 30 years, I suspect it is.

I get the idea behind these incentives, and honestly, They make a lot of sense to encourage the type of growth the municipality wants to see.

Toronto had IMIT grants for downtown office for decades to encourage downtown employment growth when the suburbs were exploding with office development in the 1980's and 1990's, and held onto that incentive a bit too long I think (they only got rid of it recently), but areas like Vaughan, Mississauga, Hamilton, etc. need to make it financially easy for employers to locate in urban locations, at least until a critical mass is reached whereby new construction can pencil out on it's own.

If these incentives help build downtown into something more city like than a bedroom community I am all for it. Mississauga is booming with condos but it can use more office and entertainment to make it more its own city.

New promo video:

Office2.jpg
Office1.jpg

The brochure has been updated with new renders:
img16.jpg

img53.jpg

img109.jpg

if they are lucky.

This was conceived pre-covid, when even then the Downtown Mississauga office market was... shaky, at best. Today, god knows if it'll ever be built.

Contingent of course on the fact that Oxford doesn't have some secret tenant in their back pocket, which I very much doubt.

Public notice for the blocks bounded by Rathburn, Confederation, and Centreview Drive to allow for life science uses: https://www.mississauga.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/OPA-22-29-W4.pdf
Applicant's Proposal:
  • To change the official plan to re-designate certain blocks within the Rathburn District north of Rathburn Road West from the 'Office' land use designation to 'Downtown Mixed Use' and to expand the land use permissions for all blocks to allow for life sciences uses. No development is proposed at this time.

Back