He's probably thinking of St. Catharines and Niagara Falls. We used to be able to see the Skylon Tower from our balcony on a clear day, until they built Time and Space. We can still see that blocky Brock tower. And it's not quite Rochester, but on a really clear day we can see this, which is half way between Buffalo and Rochester.

And all of this is just from the 16th floor. You should be able to see much more from the 91st!
From the top floor, with perfect clarity, one could see the top of the tallest building in Buffalo... barely. You can see Rochester from the height of a mile. So nowhere close.

Did anyone ever find out if it's topping out at the original height or approved height increase? After article in the Star, there was some back and fourth on here as to what height but I don't remember hearing anything after as far as confirmation one way or the other.
I spoke with the reporter at the Star and a source from Skygrid recently. They are building to the original height (85st, 308.6m), I assume for cost control. Now to see who can eclipse First Canadian Place first..

He's probably thinking of St. Catharines and Niagara Falls. We used to be able to see the Skylon Tower from our balcony on a clear day, until they built Time and Space. We can still see that blocky Brock tower. And it's not quite Rochester, but on a really clear day we can see this, which is half way between Buffalo and Rochester.

And all of this is just from the 16th floor. You should be able to see much more from the 91st!
Yeah, you can pretty clearly see stuff at Niagara Falls, Brock Tower, Hamilton etc. even from like 8-10 floors up.

May 1, 2024

IMG_20240501_100104581_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240501_100244893_HDR.jpg

I'd venture it's unlikely that CTBUH has the Receiver here on speed dial ... who knows what's up with the change.

I would expect news of a change back to 85s to show up here at UT (with the best sleuths in the business ;-) before CTBUH. 🙃

So they fought for all that extra height, only to build to what was originally approved anyways?

Some might argue that spending that amount of time/money chasing after permits for few dozen additional $5M units while sales were slow and construction costs were escalating is an example of why they lost control of the building.

They're not the only company to gamble that post-pandemic things would go back to the way they were in 2019. The winners have been very flexible and constantly reevaluating their projects.

Last edited:

Back