Respectfully, I think Mr. Au would help his cause just by settling on one descriptor rather than two. Me, I just see it as Yonge and Bloor, as I always have.

For those that this seems to matter...golden/champagne corner is likely in reference to the materials being used on The One. It's not an official declaration of anything, recent, post colonial or otherwise, and as I am aware. As it also more accurately describing the south/west corner said tower is being constructed on, and not indicative of the entire intersection respectively. I personally think it's a charming nickname...other's may beg to differ here. /shrug

Part 2 of 2 taken on June 15, 2024:

Yonge and Bloor (aka the Golden Corner or the Champagne Corner):

IMG_3100.jpeg
IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3103.jpeg
IMG_3104.jpeg

Yonge Side:

IMG_3105.jpeg
IMG_3106.jpeg
IMG_3107.jpeg
IMG_3108.jpeg

I call it the Golden Corner because it is where I can make a golden shot of The One in all its glory. I acknowledge that some people call it the Champagne Corner as it is indeed a corner of champions. I also acknowledge that some people simply call it Northeast Corner of Yonge and Bloor as it is kitty-corner to The One.

Finish line of what, height or construction? You seem to be confusing the two.

Agreed, The One is still on track to top out and claim the title for tallest building in Canada. Skygrid will take some time but they'll start hitting a floor a week as well. But Sky Tower will definitely beat its height shortly after.

It's like Toronto's version of the Chrysler building and the Empire State building that happened in the 1920s for NYC!

So the three milestones to look for in this "race" is the first to pass the 300m mark, the first to top out and then the first to be completed. As fanoftotoroto-san has already suggested, the 4th milestone of who will be the tallest has already been claimed. That is, The One will be the second tallest, regardless if it's at 85 stories or at 91 for those who are counting.

Yeah sky Tower I think is on floor 29 now they have been absolutely powering through since they got the climbing system in place wouldn't be surprised if we see sky Tower get within 10 floors of the one before it is completed but also sky grid is back onto their normal floor plates now so we should get back to one floor a week but I think sky Tower with the Pace they're going it might actually be getting more than one floor a week

Agreed, The One is still on track to top out and claim the title for tallest building in Canada. Skygrid will take some time but they'll start hitting a floor a week as well. But Sky Tower will definitely beat its height shortly after.

It's like Toronto's version of the Chrysler building and the Empire State building that happened in the 1920s for NYC!
Yes, except our version is in extreme slow motion. Both the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were completed in less than 2 years (closer to 18 months actually).

Yes, except our version is in extreme slow motion. Both the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were completed in less than 2 years (closer to 18 months actually).

Both are steel buildings - not to say that we can match that speed, but cast concrete inevitably takes a bit longer.

AoD

Both are steel buildings - not to say that we can match that speed, but cast concrete inevitably takes a bit longer.

AoD

AoD
I still think it's remarkable they could finish those massive skyscrapers in less than 2 years. These days that would be impossible (even for steel buildings) in Toronto or anywhere else.

Back