Definitely disappointed and so typical Toronto. I'm waiting to see what's next for this building. Hopefully I'll still like it.

The design is changing significantly. The diagrid system won't be needed. There's no reason to assume the tower will be banal considering the renowned architects and the high standard of One Bloor East across the street.

The design is changing significantly. The diagrid system won't be needed. There's no reason to assume the tower will be banal considering the renowned architects and the high standard of One Bloor East across the street.

Exactly. F+P isn't going to throw up a 1000 foot turd for their portfolio (it's not just about us ;)) There's no reason to worry at this point. It should be stunning.

Although I do feel this is what's killing 1 Bloor East's retail leasing too. There's now a glut of premiere retail at this intersection available over the next 3-6 years. With the mink mile nearby, are we reaching an oversupply?

I never really saw the appeal of the original design, though I'm disappointed by the (temporary?) removal of the diagrid bracing. That was the most integral aspect of the design and really the only thing that gave it personality. The retained Hue's Kitchen facade is definitely satisfying to see, if there's anything positive to take from this change in direction.

As was mentioned above, I can't help but wonder what will happen with the Mirvish/Gehry project. Will we see the removal of the waterfall-like glazing for instance? In that case, I actually prefer the current proposal, but it's hard to have faith that it will go ahead as planned. I guess we shouldn't get too excited over renderings of high profile projects? They seem to overwhelmingly represent visions rarely ever come to fruition. I think all the complaints about the "Toronto cheapening", watering down, what have you, are justified. This sort of thing happens a lot in this city and it is frustrating. Wouldn't the architect and planners have known about any issues associated with the initial design from the get go? It seems strange that the tower was thoroughly designed and presented only to have it rejected, as originally conceived, because of the reasons that were provided.

I really wish Mizrahi would opt for a different architect altogether. I would love to see a taller version of Zaha Hadid's proposal for 425 Park Ave in New York (not sure how it didn't win that particular design competition). It would be major waste for such a gorgeous tower to never be realized. This location could really use something with more supple lines.

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/425park_zaha_01.jpg

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/425park_zaha_02.jpg

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/425park_zaha_03.jpg

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/425park_zaha_04.jpg

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/425park_zaha_05.jpg

Images came from here: http://blog.archpaper.com/2012/10/slideshow-foster-won-but-check-out-zaha-hadid-rem-koolhaas-richard-rogers-nyc-visions/

Last edited:
Not likely.

I found these on Twitter (posted by Urban Cayman):

CFAJYMrUMAAh9qh.jpg

CFAJOyPUkAAtvyL.jpg

Attachments

• CFAJYMrUMAAh9qh.jpg
    CFAJYMrUMAAh9qh.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • CFAJOyPUkAAtvyL.jpg
    CFAJOyPUkAAtvyL.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,441
And woot to 329.5! I keep forgetting this is a 330m building, it's a very impressive height.

It is impressive, but don't forget that in the last year we finally surpassed the 300 meter mark with 3 proposals (1 Yonge, Mirvish/Gehry, The One)
.. Most likely from now on, Toronto will see at least two of these (300+meter proposals) a year:cool:

Does Foster do that sort of thing? i don't think of his style as having those things.

Yes - just look at 425 Park for set back, roof feature, and the Comcast Tower for spire.

Anyways, not too upset over the loss of the diagrids, they felt a bit out of place in the proposal.

AoD

Bottom line to me: the structural design and massing have greatly changed from the initial proposal. The height has increased and the Hue's facade will be retained. The diagrids may or may not be on what gets built, but I still expect a very good design. The negativity on this thread is to be expected on UT, but unwarranted (so far) in my opinion.

Its seems to me a work in progress. No need to be negative about it. It's still tall for the tall people and its still Foster. Mizrahi should have waited to reveal any design until it was final. But I'm expecting to be impressed once the final is announced.

I never really saw the appeal of the original design, though I'm disappointed by the (temporary?) removal of the diagrid bracing. That was the most integral aspect of the design and really the only thing that gave it personality. The retained Hue's Kitchen facade is definitely satisfying to see, if there's anything positive to take from this change in direction.

As was mentioned above, I can't help but wonder what will happen with the Mirvish/Gehry project. Will we see the removal of the waterfall-like glazing for instance? In that case, I actually prefer the current proposal, but it's hard to have faith that it will go ahead as planned. I guess we shouldn't get too excited over renderings of high profile projects? They seem to overwhelmingly represent visions rarely ever come to fruition. I think all the complaints about the "Toronto cheapening", watering down, what have you, are justified. This sort of thing happens a lot in this city and it is frustrating. Wouldn't the architect and planners have known about any issues associated with the initial design from the get go? It seems strange that the tower was thoroughly designed and presented only to have it rejected, as originally conceived, because of the reasons that were provided.

I really wish Mizrahi would opt for a different architect altogether. I would love to see a taller version of Zaha Hadid's proposal for 425 Park Ave in New York (not sure how it didn't win that particular design competition). It would be major waste for such a gorgeous tower to never be realized. This location could really use something with more supple lines.

Torontonians have the benefit or curse of seeing designs very early in the process. Our rezoning process is very transparent. Our as of right zoning is not economical in any light.

Anything that gets designed for New York is for a luxury market that is a thousand times greater than ours. If the cross bracing is too expensive here then so too would be the Zaha Hadid design.

Foster + Partners is a design factory competing with the likes of SOM or KPF. Duds are few and far between but, many of there designs are comparable to what the quality local firms are already designing here.

Bottom line to me: the structural design and massing have greatly changed from the initial proposal. The height has increased and the Hue's facade will be retained. The diagrids may or may not be on what gets built, but I still expect a very good design. The negativity on this thread is to be expected on UT, but unwarranted (so far) in my opinion.

Why must every new landmark that goes through planning end up retaining ugly heritage facades? Throw them somewhere else on city-owned land. Certain designs simply cannot have what amounts to a barnacle at its base.

Why must every new landmark that goes through planning end up retaining ugly heritage facades? Throw them somewhere else on city-owned land. Certain designs simply cannot have what amounts to a barnacle at its base.

This current design works well with the retained facade - and the move away from the diagrid doesn't appear to be triggered by this move in any case. Besides, F+P has a pretty good track record of working with heritage buildings where appropriate. Not really concerned over this issue at this point.

AoD

Last edited:

Back