Article also says the project will be called "The One"

Maybe it'll look like something out of the matrix? :p

7B1sGeB.jpg

If he really paid $300 million for the site that means that we are likely looking at 100+ floors presuming a single tower.. This will need 2+ million square feet to break even.

Anyone else find it odd how a developer has suddenly jumped from a couple of midrises to what is possibly the cities largest condo tower?

Woa, easy there! Talk like that will get a lot of people on here excited... way too prematurely. That would easily make it the cities tallest, heck even the Nordstrom Tower isn't 100 floors.

What ever happens at The One, the end product its not going to reach Nordstrom-type of heights, though largely because its extremely unlikely the city would approve of a 400m+ building, at least not yet. The talk so far is of something "iconic", so there's no doubt it'll be relatively tall. But if it were to become the cities tallest, which it easily would at 100 stories, you'd think there would at least be some kind of hint considering the significant of such. But the only hint was in regards to its design, that it essentially won't be completely clad in glass.
“not a piece of glass that’s going to pop out down the road.”
Though that of course was anticipated based on the developer involved.

Anyhow, if done right a stone tower will make for an amazing contrast with the all-glass clad One Bloor East,
I'm hoping for something along these lines;
IMG_2246.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184877
9999x0550.jpg

http://www.peri.com/en/projects/projects/skyscrapers-towers/al_hamra_tower.cfm

Well, the first one is Wells Fargo Centre by César Pelli in Minneapolis; the second is Al Harma Tower by SOM in Kuwait City - and so far, we only have P+S to show. I'd say curb your enthusiasm for now - and just pray that it doesn't end up like Uptown next door.

AoD

It'll be an iconic building that's for sure. My guess is this will be a long term 10-15 year project with multi phase retail/office/ and residential space. The retailers will be high end and most likely new to the city. I am guessing the tower will be somewhere in the 260-285m range but I might be wrong. I just remember Frankie Flowerpot mentioning that it would not be a super tall, but it would be taller than One Bloor East.

"Iconic" as a catchphrase is so overused by developers to the point being utterly meaningless. I'd rather wait for some real details on the proposal before even consider applying that label.

AoD

Stone or brick would be nice, and a sleek design to play off of the curves of One Bloor East next door. I do hope they design a decent crown for it though.

It's not P+S. It's not 100 storeys tall. It's not as long term as Travis thinks nor as short as he thinks.

That's all I'm prepared to say it's not.

It's not P+S. It's not 100 storeys tall. It's not as long term as Travis thinks nor as short as he thinks.

That's all I'm prepared to say it's not.

It'll be an iconic building that's for sure. My guess is this will be a long term 10-15 year project with multi phase retail/office/ and residential space. The retailers will be high end and most likely new to the city. I am guessing the tower will be somewhere in the 260-285m range but I might be wrong. I just remember Frankie Flowerpot mentioning that it would not be a super tall, but it would be taller than One Bloor East.

So its not long term (10-15yrs.), and not 100 storeys and as short as he thinks (260-285m),
... so my guess is 1-2 years for sales, and as a luxury condo bldg., 82 storeys/320 meters:D

And Frankie Flowers says it's not a supertall, and you should listen to him.

Back