Cool how we're getting all these tidbits of info hidden in these types of interviews. What a tease! 80s is a solid number, and the exoskeleton seems very foster like. Looks like they're really trying to live up to its name. First week of March is NEXT WEEK.

So right now I'm picturing a complex, modernist take on an Art Deco podium with multiple setbacks/facades, with an 80 storey tapering building rising above it like a pyramid with a visible cross bracing pattern covering the facade. Seems about right ;)

I have a feeling that this one is going to be a modern take of either the Empire State or Chrysler buildings..... :D

The "jewellery" comment is a tad odd.
AoD

Isn't it? I must say I rather like the sound of 'jewellery' for a building though. May just mean embellishment of some sort? Clearly not minimalist at least, which would be refreshing.

Personally would love to see a spire of some sort at this location, a culminating pinnacle for this uptown cluster.

Why would a supertall be ruled out? Not that I'm expecting one, but... the building could have a crown/spire to take it to 300 metres or over.

If it really does have 7 levels of retail and most of them are above ground I assume that would add to the height as well.

Isn't it? I must say I rather like the sound of 'jewellery' for a building though. May just mean embellishment of some sort? Clearly not minimalist at least, which would be refreshing.

Personally would love to see a spire of some sort at this location, a culminating pinnacle for this uptown cluster.

That's the point - it's not really a vocabulary that I associate with F+P designs. It has nothing to do with whether it is worthy or not (which will require eyes on the actual proposal and executed details).

AoD

triangles or straight up diamond patterns is a F+P hallmark to many.

That's what I'm thinking too... I am predicting something that looks very similar to the Wilkinson Eyre design for the proposed office building on Bay Street but I'm very open to being proved wrong.

Im excited now! Next week some big news on the way. A new 80 storey monster in the (height) leagues of One Bloor and Aura coming to Toronto. The design really intrigues me. I can't visualize that well what they are saying.

The design really intrigues me. I can't visualize that well what they are saying.

The term 'exoskeleton' used in the description made me think of this finalist for the Absolute World design competition:

exoskeleton_zpskrntqlf3.jpg

I would much prefer a Chrysler Building type spire but I agree, bring it on!

if you want a spire, put burjKhalifa's spire.

what are the chances that the city will cut the height of the tower?

Last edited:
The City won't cut the height of the tower. 80 storeys is reasonable and expected. A 24 storey structure worth a $1B would look out of place here.

An an ectoskelaton means that the bones will be showing while its squishy inside. Kind of like a crab or a scorpion. No need to be petrified of the word 'jewels'. Once you see the renderings you will understand.

Back