Victoria123 on SSC found this article on The One. From the article:

"We wanted this to be the Rockefeller Center or the Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building of Toronto."

"The contemporary glass and steel template for highrises has become the norm for virtually every developer in the city. While eye-catching, that type of design also carries a risk: They may be trendy and fashionable, but fashion becomes outdated, goes out of style, and trends fade. Mizrahi isn't in the fashion game. He wants timeless."

"We want to build something you would see on Fifth Avenue, that you would see on Avenue Montaigne in Paris, something you would see in London in Knightsbridge."

"The One will feature amenities such as a rooftop terrace, underground parking for residents, and the public, doormen, and valet service, gardens, pools, restaurants, and be connected to an underground PATH network for easy access to the subway"

Interesting article... I can't wait to see what's about to be revealed; usually I can conjure up a mental image in my mind, but I'm flummoxed... Is the reveal still planned for this week?

Update: official promotional video up on the site (no renders though) and the hidden text embedded in the source code posted by other members is now visible as well in separate dialogues for both the retail and residential

Update: official promotional video up on the site (no renders though) and the hidden text embedded in the source code posted by other members is now visible as well in separate dialogues for both the retail and residential
Gotta love how they talk about Yonge and Bloor, while showing the view from Trump of Bay and Adelaide... And then showing Shangri-La as if it's the building they're going to build. Kind of weird marketing.

Avenue Montaigne? Knightsbridge? 5th Ave? Why do i have the feeling this is going to be schlocky, a veritable Mcmansion-tower of overwrought ideas?

Hope i'm wrong.

Which site is "the site"?

Avenue Montaigne? Knightsbridge? 5th Ave? Why do i have the feeling this is going to be schlocky, a veritable Mcmansion-tower of overwrought ideas?

Hope i'm wrong.

Thankfully, F+P doesn't do schlocky Mcmasions - they even tempered Riyadh and Dubai. I will be looking forward to the proposal - but let's hope we aren't sold a Foster and get a P+S.

AoD

Hope i'm wrong.

I doubt that Foster would allow that to happen. While Mizrahi has no doubt given overall style guidelines (it sounds to me like they would involve a general Deco-like quality, in spirit if not in detail), it would presumably be up to Foster to design something that fits those guidelines and still looks great in a contemporary context. Foster has done buildings that incorporate Deco in the past, so I expect that they could do something like that again.

Well the public consultation is tomorrow evening, so we should have some idea of what they are proposing soon.

Well the public consultation is tomorrow evening, so we should have some idea of what they are proposing soon.

If this is going to be some McMansion tower, why would Mizrahi choose Foster's office to design it? Judging Mizrahi's McMansion-y taste (based on the buildings he's already put up), I think Robert Stern would be a better fit to execute it well.

I have a feeling we're going to get something really special here.... Hope I'm correct!

Back