I mostly asked him because he was going on for about 15 minutes (the meeting was schedule to last 30 minutes) about how important heritage was to him and how passionate he was about it. Knowing that his comments to the Star a few weeks ago were completely dismissive of heritage, I thought I should call him out on the discrepancy to see what he said. Obviously he didn't answer the question.

Personally, I do agree completely with the demolition

There were a couple of petulant or sullen holdout questions about wind effects and those silly Stollery stones. Audience was silent. Anytime someone praised the project (and many did) the audience was sustained applause. Im proud of this city.

Well to be fair, after the first person asked about Strolley, quite a few hands shot up, so I think there were more than a few people concerned. And I recall the next two questions after that were about Strolley. However I do agree that the people whining about Strolley are a bit silly. These people need to realize that this building would have an atrocious street presence with the Strolley building in place. Tearing that old thing down was the right call.

Last edited:
So am I the only one here who's surprised about the height? I was expecting something at most as tall as One Bloor East. I definitely wasn't expecting them to propose something taller than First Canadian Place (the tallest building in Canada).

And I do hope they get this height. There isn't anywhere more appropriate for it in the city.

If that were true Trump wouldn't have been able to sell any of his units minus the penthouse. You sound like my dad who is always complaining about condos being built to close together and ruining views. Whats really strange is my dad has had the opportunity to go to London, new York, paris and parts of china multiple times on business. You would think that after being exposed to so many places so close together that you wouldn't think like this. For my honeymoon we stayed at the rosevelt hotel in new York city for a week. Premium prices despite being right next to another building. This is what happens in a major city especially at a major intersection. You want a condo with a protected view in Toronto then you should move to the suburbs where you have condo in a park design. Good luck with that.

Relax. What makes you think I was complaining? You're jumping to very radical conclusions concerning my preferences based on a simple statement of fact: Units directly facing another building will undoubtedly be de-valued, but they will likely regain some of the lost value over time, yet still sell for less than a unit with a wide open exposure.

I love densely crowded cities full of high-rises. New York is incredible, but keep in mind that Toronto's high-rise residential market is not anywhere near that of New York, London, or Hong Kong.

Anyways, when you have a city demolition permit in your hand, you dont really have to explain anything

Gotta respect that at least you are consistent in defending developers. Whether he was within his rights is beside the point. It's also unclear if he had all the necessary permits to proceed as he did. You usually need more than a demo permit to take down a building built to the property line. The value of Stollery's facade isn't much of a point either. The inability to take other opinions into consideration and brush aside any civil responsibilities shows a lot about the character of this guy and, as a developer with apparent huge ambitions, is of much greater concern beyond this one site.

Last edited:
Gotta respect that at least you are consistent in defending developers. Whether he was within his rights is beside the point. It's also unclear if he had all the necessary permits to proceed as he did. You usually need more than a demo permit to take down a building built to the property line. The value of Stollery's facade isn't much of a point either. The inability to take other opinions into consideration and brush aside any civil responsibilities shows a lot about the character of this guy and, as a developer with apparent huge ambitions, is of much greater concern beyond this one site.

It shows that he either cared about the integrity of their design, or making money (probably the latter).

What disturbed me more is about the guy is that he had the gall to stand on stage for 15 minutes rambling on about how passionate he is about heritage, how since the beginning heritage was at top of mind, and how they view their heritage contributions as a gift to the city. This is not even six weeks after he told the Star he saw nothing worth protecting in Strollerys. Mind that the meeting was scheduled for 30 minutes, so he wasted half the scheduled time rambling about his nonsense.

I get that he's promoting the building and that he has to present himself in the best light. But if you're going to lie to me, at least have the decency not to lie to our faces for 15 minutes straight. Leaving it at "we care about heritage, and preserved the Strolley stone" would have been sufficient and a lot less offensive to my sensibilities.

The proposal itself is great. Mizrahi, on the other hand, lacks any class.

An impressive proposal, and really makes the old stollery building look like the pos it was. Bureaucratic whinging aside, I'm happy with this.

I can't quite put my finger on it but I think Tiger Master isn't a fan of Mr. Mizrahi.

15316-48973.jpeg

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/03/mizrahi-developments-one-be-canadas-tallest-building

I don't like the color combination. beige looks too boring- like a hospital or something.

What else did he expect him to say?

He's not going to turn around and say he lied, is he?

Why? It got the crowd on his side did it not? Truth-twisting or not, he's got to be a salesman here. And he was. Quite successfully.

Put me in the 'build it now' category.

I'm in the 'build it now' category as well. It's going to be awesome watching this go up from my bedroom window. I just thought all the Stollerys talk was too mch.

10 levels down and up plus 8 levels of complicated podium to be ready in 36 months - and that's if it's approved right away

Very ambitious.

Back