That seems to have always been the plan. and being behind on that plan is likely a big source of their financial problems. Obviously there are many issues here, but certainly the lack of revenue coming in from not having Apple paying rent (and maybe also the hotel could have opened early?), isn't helping in terms of their inability to pay off debt. Now obviously they'd need to get Apple to come back (or get an equivalent tenant), but I'd guess part of the reason they're continuing to build right now is to try and get to the point where the lower levels can start generating revenue to offset some of the debt.
the apple store at most would have yielded them 3,000,000 a year in rent a proverbial fart in the wind in this project.

i think in total they have about 30 - 40m revenue of commercial available.
maybe another 30 - 40m hotel revenue at the most

Part 1 of 2 taken on October 25, 2023:

Bay and Cumberland:

IMG_0640.jpeg

Balmuto Side:

IMG_0643.jpeg

Back Alley:

IMG_0645.jpeg

Bloor Side:

IMG_0647.jpeg
IMG_0655.jpeg
IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0649.jpeg
IMG_0650.jpeg
IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0652.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg
IMG_0656.jpeg

It might sound facetious, but I can seriously imagine a Shopper's Drugmart filling in the retail space meant for Apple. It would be one of the most "Toronto" things to happen in Toronto. 😅
Not likely given the saturation in the area, but I don’t think it’d fly well with the tenants/hotel; Galen Weston’s recently taken a “confine and scrutinize” approach to customers (see; recent changes to Loblaws on Carlton, and the presence of paid duty cops as security). Very few cashiers, but heavy security is in use in most Shoppers downtown now.

“From this entrance, you can enter the luxury hotel; this one the luxury condos and this one the drug store that’s now being run like a Dollarama.”

Last edited:
It might sound facetious, but I can seriously imagine a Shopper's Drugmart filling in the retail space meant for Apple. It would be one of the most "Toronto" things to happen in Toronto. 😅
I'd argue an even more Toronto option would be for it to become a bank branch, a la the Samsung Store becoming a BMO 😬

Went into a new RBC branch the other day and there were no tellers behind desks, instead they had little café style tables with two chairs where you would go over and sit with a teller and they'd process your request. I'm not talking about an advisor in an office, just a normal teller at a little coffee table. World has gone crazy! ;)

Have they started to reduce the thickness of the supercolumns above the new mechanical level? These rebar cages don’t look quite as hefty as before.

View attachment 515581

📷: @BloorMan

Yes. They had changed thickness at least once previously but they were always almost square shaped while now it appears to have half the original cross section.

Can we get a donation started for Bloor to get a drone would be awesome getting overhead shots of some of these pours 😍🤣

Do they use a different mpa of concrete between the floors and the columns. Just wondering because I have seen some projects that will start in a section and proceed to form and pour their columns same day as the floor that they just completed. Don't know if that is accomplishable but thought I would throw it out there. Seems like work and staff on site has picked up

Edit. Which would actually make sense as you would want to show progress in order to secure further loans and lending if this project is trying to reach 91 stories as is envisioned

Back