I think Apple can come back. Now the project is managed by someone who has more experience and there is a firm date of completion in March 2025. That is only 16 months away.

This store is completely inconsequential to Apple. Pretty sure that’s not the case with Mizrahi though. That said, it’s still possible that Apple might return to this location.
How can it be both inconsequential and require massive accommodating modifications? If it were inconsequential, Apple would have opened another store by now somewhere nearby.

Nope - it's Mizrahi's loss. Need I remind you that Apple is a zillion dollar company? They have plenty of options. Their retail fortunes are hardly reliant on a single potential location in a single city in the North American market. The way I expect it went, Apple was willing to go along with their original plans until it became apparent that it would be foolish to passively stick around. But to evandyk's point, this withdrawal may also amount to a calculated bargaining chip on Apple's part. I guess we'll see.

As it stands, the loss of prestige from having Apple pull out is no small thing. Having said that, I want to see this building get finished.
I disagree. Apple is also company that makes and sells products to make money, so even if they are zillion dollar company. Greed is eternal (Rule of Acquisition #10)...so if they have no store here, they're not making more money. Therefore, making it Apple's loss...

That said, I am willing to entertain...
This is a loss for both Mizrahi, and Apple. It's doubtful that Apple will find a venue as suitable as The One anytime soon. The loss to Mizrahi is obvious. However, we can't say how much potential lost business either enterprise will suffer.
...because for me as well, the elephant in the room here is the reckless and dodgy way Mizrahi was financing this project caused the chickens to come home roost sooner than anyone was expecting or liked. So I least like to acknowledge Mizrahi's part in this which caused the loss of confidence with Apple, so he certainly had his part to blame in this. Or we wouldn't be having this argument if this wasn't the case.

But I think we can agree it would be in Apple's best interest to pursue this space again, now that the dust is settling a bit on this, IMO. So let's hope they do so.

...because for me as well, the elephant in the room here is the reckless and dodgy way Mizrahi was financing this project caused the chickens to come home roost sooner than anyone was expecting or liked. So I least like to acknowledge Mizrahi's part in this which caused the loss of confidence with Apple, so he certainly had his part to blame in this. Or we wouldn't be having this argument if this wasn't the case.
I'm not arguing about blame. Just sayin' IMO, both sides lose to some extent.

Last edited:
From today:

20231106_155411.jpg

How can it be both inconsequential and require massive accommodating modifications? If it were inconsequential, Apple would have opened another store by now somewhere nearby.
We’re talking about a company that had $394 *billion* in revenues last year. This one hypothetical store is completely irrelevant and meaningless to anything that this company does.

We’re talking about a company that had $394 *billion* in revenues last year. This one hypothetical store is completely irrelevant and meaningless to anything that this company does.
But you can say that about any other store Apple opened. It is a small piece that is part of a much bigger picture.

What I think some of the posters are saying is that Apple was particular about its requirements and this site would still fit those requirements (compared to other potential sites). No one was arguing that the abandonment of this location would lead to material effect on Apple’s global operations but it was a misstep in its local/regional plans.

It's funny how the elephant in the room is being completely ignored still. Like nothing happened.

This building lost its glory. It's just another ugly tall building that will have a lot of empty suites. It will be cheaply made moving forward to keep losses down. Nobody takes a building seriously when the foundations it's built upon is fraud.

But, it's okay bro! Yonge and Bloor! Toronto! We the NORTH!!!!

But what do I know right? My posts in this thread from 2021 saying Apple will back out didn't turn out true at all, right?

With that said, I gotta give credit where it's due... this building is truly symbolic of Canadian real estate. Fraud, money laundering, drug trafficking money, being thrown around into our Countries developments. Politicians making behind the door deals with crooked developers. But hey, it's Canada. What else can you expect.

I'm pretty sure most forum readers aren't particularly interested in the ethics or virtues of the Canadian real estate business. Nor do they worry about vacant suites or cashflow models on development proformas.
They come to view the progress of cool and unique buildings as well as learn insightful knowledge from industry experts. I am making this assumption based on the fact that the majority of reaction scores stem from photos and not people's general opinions.

This will be a fantastic addition to the city regardless of who takes space in the lobby. Apple backing out does not change a thing about this towers stunning design and high quality materials. Just wait and see in 2025 when this is beauty will be gleaming on the skyline.

Back