From today. Most likely we will get another cement pour tomorrow

20231109_160039.jpg

Off-topically: I call those Floydian sunsets. As I always hear tracks from a certain band playing in the background that should be experienced on a colourful party favour when I ever see such sets... 🙀

Yonge & Bloor is, and probably will always be, Canada's most well-known intersection.
Sorry, I think Y&B is an important intersection for Torontonians, but does anyone who has not lived in Toronto really know it?

I would be hard-pressed to name an actual intersection in Montreal, and I've been many times - and I can name plenty of important streets there. I don't think non-Torontonians would be able to name Y&B.

And if you Google the question, Portage and Main (which I do know about, even though I've never visited Winnipeg) is named as Canada's most famous intersection.

Sorry, I think Y&B is an important intersection for Torontonians, but does anyone who has not lived in Toronto really know it?

I would be hard-pressed to name an actual intersection in Montreal, and I've been many times - and I can name plenty of important streets there. I don't think non-Torontonians would be able to name Y&B.

And if you Google the question, Portage and Main (which I do know about, even though I've never visited Winnipeg) is named as Canada's most famous intersection.
I've lived in Canada for 67 years, and have never heard of Portage & Main. People outside of Toronto (or Ontario, or Canada) don't have to know of Y & B for it to be Canada's best known. How many people outside of ANY country do you think can name an intersection from another country? Aside from Hollywood & Vine, what others quickly come to mind? P & M may be more notable, but I'd bet it doesn't get 100th the traffic Y & B gets.

As someone born outside Toronto, I'd argue Yonge and Dundas is more famous than Yonge and Bloor. Within Ontario, CityTV is based there, and beyond that, Dundas Square, for better or worse, generates a lot of attention. Tbh beyond being a transit nerd, I didn't know about Yonge and Bloor that much until I moved here, but I knew about Yonge and Dundas for much much longer. The Eaton Centre is a bigger attraction to the general public than anything at Yonge and Bloor, just by itself. Yonge and Bloor's fame is very much a Torontonian thing. Trust me, anyone who hasn't used the TTC has no idea how important it is. I think you can argue it's our "Most Important" intersection (And I would agree to that), but not our most well-known, if only by virtue of no TV stations facing onto it.

As an aside, you could argue Queen and John is the most famous intersection to Millennials cus of the Much Music days.

Last edited:
As someone born outside Toronto, I'd argue Yonge and Dundas is more famous than Yonge and Bloor. Within Ontario, CityTV is based there, and beyond that, Dundas Square, for better or worse, generates a lot of attention. Tbh beyond being a transit nerd, I didn't know about Yonge and Bloor that much until I moved here, but I knew about Yonge and Dundas for much much longer. The Eaton Centre is a bigger attraction to the general public than anything at Yonge and Bloor, just by itself. Yonge and Bloor's fame is very much a Torontonian thing. Trust me, anyone who hasn't used the TTC has no idea how important it is. I think you can argue it's our "Most Important" intersection (And I would agree to that), but not our most well-known, if only by virtue of no TV stations facing onto it.

As an aside, you could argue Queen and John is the most famous intersection to Millennials cus of the Much Music days.
I realize this is getting way off-topic, but for this Babyboomer, Queen and John, and more specifically 299 Queen St. West, will always be synonymous with City-tv. I still remember the day in 1987 when they moved there, and at the time, it seemed an event of epic proportions(and was played up as such by the station), Somehow, despite its prominence at Dundas Square, their present location just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Last edited:
I realize this is getting way off-topic, but for this Babyboomer, Queen and John, and more specifically 299 Queen St. West, will always be synonymous with City-tv. I still remember the day in 1987 when they moved there, and at the time, it seemed an event of epic proportions(and was played up as such by the station), Somehow, despite its prominence at Dundas Square, their present location just doesn't cut the mustard for me.
They’re kind of A-holes in the current location, actually. They use the streetcar turn right of way as a parking lot for news vehicles, and I’m surprised traffic enforcement don’t just camp themselves across the street and rake in tickets like crazy. But then, the police seem to believe traffic enforcement is below them these days.

Of course, since Moses Znaimer sold CityTV, it’s shifted politically to the right, and the police tend to play favourites in this city.

Back