Dec. 14 - Peeking through from St. Clair and Yonge
IMG_7702.JPG
IMG_7703.JPG

Photos taken today, Friday (Dec. 15). Since my last set of shots last Friday, the north and west Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) have moved up, with the north RCS up 2 levels to install the skin on the 15th floor, the west to level 14. The east RCS is still at level 16, though it may pause there as the 1st mechanical level is next. A worker I spoke to a while back said there'd be a pause at that level. Meanwhile, at the top, the blue forms have moved up and we are level 48, I think. The blue corner forms have stayed in place since last week, but a lot of progress there as it seems the floor for the base of the next hanging sections are about to be poured. (BloorMan's recent photos have a better view of this.) Indeed, in one photo showing a crew on the west side, we can just make out the floor attachment segment for the hangers for the SW corner in place (also visible in the long shot from the south). Seems the crews are moving quickly now to get those floors done as the next bunch of top attachment points for the hangers are soon to emerge from under the rising super-column forms on top.

Starting with the "time-lapse" photo for the Flickr album I have, followed by views from the south, where we see the skin now mostly installed up to level 14. Shots from the NE, where the light bathed the tower. It's looking pretty spectacular so far, IMHO. Then the west side from in front of Holt Renfrew, as we now see the skin emerge as the west RCS rises. Shots from Cumberland east of Bay, including a tight shot of the corner scaffolds with the floors for the next hanging section ready to be poured, it seems. The final shot, from Bloor at Bedford, shows the corners on the west side with crews at work.

For all my posted photos (900+) over the past three years:

UTIMG_6061.jpg
UTIMG_5979.jpg
UTIMG_6041.jpg
UTIMG_6049.jpg
UTIMG_6121.jpg
UTIMG_6125.jpg
UTIMG_6114.jpg
UTIMG_6187.jpg
UTIMG_6215.jpg
UTIMG_6244.jpg
UTIMG_6314.jpg

Last edited:
As expected, another floor pour has been completed. I also saw a couple of guys working on the upper crane brace. We might see the crane grow 1 or 2 sections on Saturday. Further, it looks like the sidewalk access along Bloor is usable again and the bike lane has reopened.

20231215_112700.jpg
20231215_112702.jpg
20231215_112707.jpg
20231215_112745.jpg
20231215_113211.jpg
20231215_144424.jpg
20231215_144502.jpg
20231215_144526.jpg
20231215_151646.jpg
20231215_151653.jpg
20231215_151700.jpg

did the sheer walls end the same level the columns reduced in size?
I'm sure the columns reduce in size every 10 floors or so. As for the walls, that seemed to disappear right when the receivership was announced back in October.

I'm sure the columns reduce in size every 10 floors or so. As for the walls, that seemed to disappear right when the receivership was announced back in October.

While 'no walls' certainly explains the pace we've seen... it seems bizarre to me structurally (have zero engineering knowledge though) and the implications for whatever actual unit floor plans end up being planned (or re-designed).

Surely these higher floors won't be carved up into units with just drywall (even with noise baffles).... confused again. 🤔

Building may need to have slightly more sway at higher floors for wind load to compensate. This is about the halfway mark that these sure walls disappeared so I think it may help. Just been the destructural portion of those walls was no longer needed

While 'no walls' certainly explains the pace we've seen... it seems bizarre to me structurally (have zero engineering knowledge though) and the implications for whatever actual unit floor plans end up being planned (or re-designed).

Surely these higher floors won't be carved up into units with just drywall (even with noise baffles).... confused again. 🤔

From the beginning some floors were designed to have fewer or even no lateral walls depending on the distribution of units per floor. Now, which floors have which layout may have changed but it is not something they wouldn’t have accounted for. Here are some of different residential floor layouts:

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

From the beginning some floors were designed to have fewer or even no lateral walls depending on the distribution of units per floor. Now, which floors have which layout may have changed but it is not something they wouldn’t have accounted for. Here are some of different residential floor layouts:

View attachment 527837

View attachment 527838

View attachment 527839
i dont get it, they arbitraily have or don't have them on different floors for same types? maybe it is every 6 floors where the corner hangers start have the walls? the marketing floor plans show the sheer walls even in the large suites on high floors

Back