Re: Shear Walls,

They're reducing the size of columns and walls as the tower goes up, because the amount of lateral force the building must resist at the top is much lower than at the bottom. However, it's not just to save money, the walls and columns have to slowly get smaller to avoid stiffness irregularities.

I suspect the reason for large partition walls is gradually transfer lateral load from the interior core to the exterior mega columns above the ground floor retail space. As the building gets taller, this mechanism tapers away. Basically a very distributed outrigger system, so that the retail can avoid columns.

Walls may periodically appear as they go up to accomplish a similar effect throughout the height of the building. Don't be surprised if you see more of them, they're not for vertical loads.
Yes I understand that but what I don't get is the drawings showing them at random floors

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

so any over under where the bloor sidwalk will open up?

guessing once they pass the mech level with the rcs?

Photos taken today, Friday (Dec. 22). Since my post from last Friday, all the Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) have been raised to the 16th floor, the floor beneath the 1st mechanical levels, where I hear they will pause before being raised, presumably, to level 19. The east RCS has been at level 16 a few weeks now, the north RCS was at level 15 last week, the west RCS at level 14. And the skin is basically all up, up to level 15. Not sure why, but all that yellow netting with the RCSs have been tilted up. On top, the crane has been raised a few segments while all the blue scaffolding is where it was last week. However, as seen from BloorMan's photos, the concrete has been poured for the corner floors for the base of the next hanging sections. Once the blue platforms go up one or two more levels, presumably the hanger attachment points will be exposed and the hangers will be attached. The concrete core looks like it has gone up one level, to 48/49?

Starting with my "time-lapse" Flickr album update, a view from the south with the cladding basically done up to level 15, the east and west RCS both at level 16, covering the mechanical levels on those sides. A shot of the newly raised crane, then views from the west by Holt Renfrew. That building right to the west of the tower now with most of its exterior installed over the insulation layer, and more of the skin visible above it now. Then, a shot from Cumberland east of Bay, the skin now becoming visible from that vantage point. Some shots from the Yonge and Bloor intersection, east of Yonge. Then 1 Bloor E and W together, and finally a long shot from Bloor and Bedford where the core is 1 level higher than last week, and the attachment points for the hangers are visible on the newly poured corners.

UTIMG_6902.jpg
UTIMG_6839.jpg
UTIMG_6853.jpg
UTIMG_6991.jpg
UTIMG_7003.jpg
UTIMG_7020.jpg
UTIMG_6928.jpg
UTIMG_6948.jpg
UTIMG_6979.jpg
UTIMG_6813.jpg

Last edited:

Back