most heritage is crap and used by nimbies to limit development. this city will call any ugly building heritage and we end up with disgusting monstrosities at ground level.

i am happy he quickly got rid of the building so that we could have a 40 foot high uninterrupted street presence which is going to be unique and world class for once.
We also end up with of lot of new "crap". I think many would agree the heritage here was poorly executed. I would have liked to have seen the building moved to the southern property line. Older exterior clay brick walls can have dismal recovery rates of usable brick. The bricks simply are not suitable for reuse, however there are enough sources of good quality reclaimed brick that could have been used here.

Last edited:
We also end up with of lot of new "crap". I think many would agree the heritage here was poorly executed. I would have liked to see the building moved to the southern property line. Older exterior clay brick walls can have dismal recovery rates of usable brick. The bricks simply are not suitable for reuse, however there are enough sources of good quality reclaimed brick that could have been used here.
no doubt and there are nice buildings we keep for sure!

but imagine he didnt demo stolleries, and city voted to keep it, it is aun unremarkable building, and would have handicaped the ever loving shit out of this tower, the fact it was gone and we get this insane high end street facade is a huge win.

no doubt and there are nice buildings we keep for sure!

but imagine he didnt demo stolleries, and city voted to keep it, it is aun unremarkable building, and would have handicaped the ever loving shit out of this tower, the fact it was gone and we get this insane high end street facade is a huge win.
As long as they find a tenant soon after the building / retail is open. The last thing you want to have is a 40 ft glass wall covered in that white hoarding/ sheet for more than 8 years - like the vacant space across the street at 1 Bloor East (no, I’m not talking about ex Nordstrom Rack, some of the retail space has NEVER been leased). I guess in Toronto beggars CAN be choosers.

Part 2 of 2 taken on January 10, 2024:

Yonge and Bloor (aka the Golden Corner or the Champagne Corner):

IMG_1543.jpeg
IMG_1544.jpeg
IMG_1545.jpeg
IMG_1546.jpeg

Yonge Side:

IMG_1547.jpeg
IMG_1548.jpeg
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1554.jpeg