Mizrahi mentioned it has something to do with the diagrid exoskeleton as well. I don't get how but I'm not an engineer!

The 3D nature of the diagrid and its diamonds probably breaks up of the wind and prevents wind from "channelling/funnelling" down the face of the building.
Any wind hitting the building and channelled downwards will encounter a "V" in the diagrid and be broke up.

That's my guess.

Steel. The exterior diamonds are the load-bearing elements, freeing the interiors to be completely open-plan with no unsightly columns.

Not that I think they're unsightly, but going by the rendering of the interior there will be columns inside as well;
15316-48973.jpeg

1 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for site plan approval for an 80 storey mixed-use building, the first 8 storey above grade will be used for retail, as well as the first storey below grade, eight levels of underground parking will be provided and a total of 544 residential units
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 15 128257 STE 27 SA Mar 16, 2015 Under Review
Rezoning 15 128261 STE 27 OZ Mar 16, 2015 Under Review

Assuming this goes through, curious, how many other cities, if any, in NA, have a purely residential building as their #1 tallest ? I'd imagine for just about all cities this would typically be an office building ?

There are a few other cities in NA that have a residential building as their tallest(i.e Austin, Mississauga, Hamilton, Zapopan). Austin has the tallest of these with the The Austonian(how original :rolleyes:) at 208m/683ft.

it's not purely residential though... it has 8 double height floors of retail at it's base. the 72 floors of residential alone would not make it the tallest.

I wouldn't call this proposal purely residential. It has a significant commercial component. High rise living is a niche market in the US however, I think you will do better finding cities with residential being the tallest south of their border.

Just about every Canadian has a tallest proposed or built with a large residential component.

It may not be completely residential, but in according to the official standard it is considered a residential building. Considering the floor plates are essentially identical, 8 floors of retail only constitutes approx. 10% of the buildings total sq/footage. That falls below the 15% standard required for a building to be considered mixed-use as denoted here: http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/HeightStatistics/Criteria/tabid/446/language/en-US/Default.aspx

It's also listed as residential in their database: http://skyscrapercenter.com/country/canada

Great, Mizrahi is moving quickly.

I'll bet he already has his team putting the OMB application together too - in case it is necessary.

I like the way this guy operates.

It may not be completely residential, but in according to the official standard it is considered a residential building. Considering the floor plates are essentially identical, 8 floors of retail only constitutes approx. 10% of the buildings total sq/footage. That falls below the 15% standard required for a building to be considered mixed-use as denoted here: http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/HeightStatistics/Criteria/tabid/446/language/en-US/Default.aspx

It's 19% retail by square footage according to the link posted above -- http://www.investorvillage.com/uploads/57687/files/z019d110az5ecb71b7245b40d989a5e9f1b382c7ef.pdf (p. 65)

It's 19% retail by square footage according to the link posted above -- http://www.investorvillage.com/uploads/57687/files/z019d110az5ecb71b7245b40d989a5e9f1b382c7ef.pdf (p. 65)

My estimate was based only on a guess of what the building enveloped constituted. I assume most of that additional sq/footage is from the western extension of the structure/podium. It's possible that is considered a separate and independent structure. But I don't have the facts in that regards I'm simply stating what the methodology actually is for these matters. If that's the case then its indeed mixed used by the CTBUH's own standards and their own data is erroneous.

Great, Mizrahi is moving quickly.

I'll bet he already has his team putting the OMB application together too - in case it is necessary.

I like the way this guy operates.

There is something very un-Toronto about his unapologetic ambition and lack of ditheryness or politeness. Maybe this is what bristles somewhat? I must say i find it refreshing... and heck if it produces results!

There is something very un-Toronto about his unapologetic ambition and lack of ditheryness or politeness. Maybe this is what bristles somewhat? I must say i find it refreshing... and heck if it produces results!

I suspect it is refreshing because it aligns with an outcome one identifies as positive. Say what you may about process - it is in place for a reason - and considering other exemplars of quality architecture, I am not sure how much of this lack of politeness is necessary (other than as Trump-esque PR fluff).

AoD

Last edited:
IMG_20150315_112732390.jpg

IMG_20150315_112749492.jpg

IMG_20150315_112856242.jpg

IMG_20150315_115526808.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150315_112732390.jpg
    IMG_20150315_112732390.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,651
  • IMG_20150315_112749492.jpg
    IMG_20150315_112749492.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 907
  • IMG_20150315_112856242.jpg
    IMG_20150315_112856242.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 839
  • IMG_20150315_115526808.jpg
    IMG_20150315_115526808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 819
I suspect it is refreshing because it aligns with an outcome one identifies as positive. Say what you may about process - it is in place for a reason - and considering other exemplars of quality architecture, I am not sure how much of this lack of politeness is necessary (other than as Trump-esque PR fluff).

AoD

At the risk of repeating an obvious example. the Mirvish proposal took quite a beating - a good defense is a strong offence.

I am not sure how much of this lack of politeness is necessary

I don't think he's impolite at all, he's a property owner, exercising his rights under the law. There's noting impolite about that.
What is actually impolite is the Torontonian way of constantly apologising, but never really meaning it.

I don't think he's impolite at all, he's a property owner, exercising his rights under the law. There's noting impolite about that.
What is actually impolite is the Torontonian way of constantly apologising, but never really meaning it.

Be that as it may, Toronto's built realm is largely 'polite', which is to say safe, inoffensive, designed by committee... and i'm not sure that art or excellence thrives in these conditions. So yeah, maybe it takes a strong personality to create something extraordinary? I am glad we err on the side of caution, overall, but caution didn't build our NPS or CN Tower, and it likely won't build M/G or the One... all of which is to say that maybe we should hitch ourselves to a visionary every once and a while, even if it does cause us some discomfort.

Back