Not sure what they are doing here, but the location is the "rear" of the building on Simcoe.

IMG_6609.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 5,944
I read recently in a magazine a marketing caption "a 55 storey tower of glass and steel will soon rise", obviously steel is used in every construction project but does anyone know is this addition going to be steel constructed? I'd imagine steel is favourable construction method for small additions, like 155 Cumberland, but this is on a much larger scale. Is steel construction lighter than a traditional concrete slab method?

I read recently in a magazine a marketing caption "a 55 storey tower of glass and steel will soon rise", obviously steel is used in every construction project but does anyone know is this addition going to be steel constructed? I'd imagine steel is favourable construction method for small additions, like 155 Cumberland, but this is on a much larger scale. Is steel construction lighter than a traditional concrete slab method?
The building was design as steel with provision for extra floor, but not for the plan hight.

Using steel requires more headroom which means extra material all around at a greater cost. Steel requires a longer lead time to make or to make changes where concrete can be change on the fly.

Steel has it places where concrete will have more problems. But over all, there are very few fabricators existing in Canada that could do a tall all steel building by themselves and only doing one building a year.

The US like using steel and very rare to see an all concrete tall building.

This building needs extra pinning for the additional floors as the existing columns and footing will not take the load. All new floors will be steel.

155 Cumberland was a steel building and why steel was used there for the addition.

Both BA towers are known as supper thin steel towers since steel joist were used in place of steel beams. The first tower was even more thin as it used steel joist truss to support the floor joist in place of beams. Using joist allows all other items to be install through the joist open space where steel beams would require the items to run under them or have reinforce opening in the web of the beam.

massive crane on university:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,158
Are they going to reclad windows and walls the existing building in order to match the building new or concrete wall will be considered heritage site.

Are they going to reclad windows and walls the existing building in order to match the building new or concrete wall will be considered heritage site.

As I understand it, the existing office building will be recladded with a window wall system. (correction per @ChesterCopperpot: curtain wall)

The residential tower addition above will be accessed via a sky lobby (20th floor?) at the top of the existing building where the shared amenities will also be located, the sky lobby has elevators protruding on the north face of the building which connect to the ground level lobby and underground parking.

Last edited:

Back