It is a steel structure. The CIP concrete residential portion will be built on top of the steel table top platform which is being constructed right now.

A new skyscraper cluster is taking shape.
Dundas University skyscraper.jpg

Attachments

• Dundas University skyscraper.jpg
    Dundas University skyscraper.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,306
I don't remember seeing any reenforcement steel in the centre of the building, so I'm guessing all of it was visible along the sides. Will there be a thick transfer slab to transfer the weight of the addition to the outside of the original building where the new steel was placed?

The structural steel framing that's shown there is for the 19th floor which is the upper amenity level with the swimming pool.

The 20th floor will be a poured in place concrete structural slab which will act as a transfer structure. The 20th floor slab will have almost 3m deep perimeter transfer beams so that the weight of the new addition will be transferred to the structural steel exoskeleton that extend down to the bedrock so that there won't be any stress on the existing structure.

the weight of the new addition will be transferred to the structural steel exoskeleton that extend down to the bedrock so that there won't be any stress on the existing structure.
So the new exoskeleton will be bearing the entire weight of the addition? The new building will essentially be straddling the old one, but not actually resting on it (in terms of weight transfer)?

Wow. This project has always struck me as both ambitious and a bit nutty -- is this particular location so desirable, and the existing building so valuable, that further height via this technique is warranted? Has anything like this been done elsewhere in Toronto?

Wow. This project has always struck me as both ambitious and a bit nutty -- is this particular location so desirable, and the existing building so valuable, that further height via this technique is warranted? Has anything like this been done elsewhere in Toronto?

Well, the same economics apply here even if there's added cost due to the complexity of the project: adding height increases density (all things considered), which makes the site more valuable. It's definitely a cool and unique project for the city, even if you don't love the design of the "new" building or sacrificing the "old" one.

If this approach is economical here, I don't understand why it isn't used more with other projects in the city. What is unique about this project that makes it appropriate here?

Back