Just looking at that photo above, from the Falafel shop to Le Chateau is just begging to be assembled into one property, then redeveloped with the old Uptown Cinemas entrance becoming the front door for the new project...

which would hide the horrible back wall of the Uptown Podium.

If anything needs to go, it's Stollery's. It may have some nice historical features, but it's such a blight on the corner with all of the misguided additions.

If anything needs to go, it's Stollery's. It may have some nice historical features, but it's such a blight on the corner with all of the misguided additions.

Ah I see, because of a relatively discrete addition on top, this beauty is worth scrapping. Brilliant.

It's 80s black smoked glass with a bilboard plopped on top. Matter-of-fact; nothing truly horrid.

And who's to say that despite its recent reno/retention, the Uptown Theatre facade isn't dispensible, either...

The podium for this one was supposed to be clad in black granite.

Here it is again for those not up to digging for it.

And the whole building model.
uptown_model2.jpg

And who's to say that despite its recent reno/retention, the Uptown Theatre facade isn't dispensible, either...

For all of the old photos I have seen of the Uptown Theatre's entrance the only original piece that remains of the front is part of the stone work near the top of the roofline which was partly restored when it was recently uncovered after 40 years of being hidden away behind steel gridwork. Everything else was gradually ripped away decades before that so despite my strong emotional attachment to what is left of this building, I'd have to agree that it is indeed disposable.

Last edited:
Again... an AWESOME SHOT mike in to!

Man... Uptown is gonna look SO skinny from this angle and will be taller than manulife!... CAN'T WAIT for it to go up!

Again... an AWESOME SHOT mike in to!

Man... Uptown is gonna look SO skinny from this angle and will be taller than manulife!... CAN'T WAIT for it to go up!

I think Uptown is around 25 feet short of the Manulife Apartments (518 ft. vs. Manulife's 545 ft.). Close though.

Oct. 15th

From the Yonge & Bloor area

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Casa looks about as tall as Manulife.

These towers including the Four Season are really going to really extent the Skyline.

Casa looks about as tall as Manulife.

Believe it or not Manulife has nearly 100 feet on Casa.
Manulife apartments - 545 ft.
Uptown - 518 ft.
Casa - 453 ft.

Last edited:
Believe it or not Manulife has nearly 100 feet on Casa.
Manulife apartments - 545 ft.
Uptown - 518 ft.
Casa - 453 ft.

Uptown will soon join these giants...

4003304965_8724b6b9d5_b.jpg

I don’t believe that height quotation at all. Not that its off by a large amount but X was suppose to be the same height as Casa – 453ft. (roof line at about 430ft as dt mentioned in the X trend)

Mike took that awesome photo from the upper floors of the nearly topped off X at a height approaching 400ft or more. Yet Casa has a good 5 or 6 floors on it plus the mech under the hat.

Wasn’t Casa granted a 2 floor height extension? I don’t believe that height quotation includes that extension which would add 18-20ft to it. Making Casa’s real height around 472ft.

Back