4994224652_52b99d44e3_b.jpg

Reminds me of the Rockefeller Centre in NY - only prettier - I love it!! (By the way Mike, great shot)

rockefeller_center.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Rockefeller Centre in NY - only prettier - I love it!! (By the way Mike, great shot)

You do mean that the Rockefeller Centre (the GE Building @ 30 Rock) is better, right?!

Have you seen Rockefeller Centre - as in been there? You would change your opinion very quickly if you ever visit it.

Not at all. I think the Uptown is a sexier building by far and one of the best looking buildings in T.O.

I'm OK with Uptown, I don't love it but I certainly don't dislike it - it's a breath of fresh air with all the glass buildings going up but it can't be compared to the GE Building, it's a true art deco masterpiece.

^If, like 30 Rock, the Uptown had employed dark spandrel above and below its windows (and thereby accentuating its verticality...[yeah, I made that word up]) then even its stupid black granite base and cheap precast, may have been saved and it would have tied itself together with some sort of cohesion.

Have you seen Rockefeller Centre - as in been there? You would change your opinion very quickly if you ever visit it.

Sorry my friend, I have been there many times and I do prefer the Uptown. It’s younger and fresher yet still holds that sexy, tall retro feel.

Sorry my friend, I have been there many times and I do prefer the Uptown. It’s younger and fresher yet still holds that sexy, tall retro feel.

again, there's no accounting for taste.

Uptown looks like the GE building alot (in terms of shape). but then you look at the sides of GE... FAT!!
awesome render traynor! you can even see Mississauga city centre in between crystal/uptown in that shot.:D
This building should have some remarkable views!

Can we please bring back Art Deco architecture?
Like.. REAL Art Deco?

Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, GE Building..
All incredible, it'd be amazing if Toronto's first 1000+ footer was Art Deco!

I'll second that motion. I love good Art Deco. I am already tired of Neo-Modernism... It has all the minimalism with none of the quality materials original Moderism had. X-Condos is a rare exception to that.

Can we please bring back Art Deco architecture?
Like.. REAL Art Deco?

Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, GE Building..
All incredible, it'd be amazing if Toronto's first 1000+ footer was Art Deco!

I agree 100% - I’m so tired of repetitious glass boxes - has anyone been to "City Place" recently? Yuk - at least art deco buildings have tremendous character - as does our "Uptown".

Steak to me.

City Place had such promise but it is so monotonous! Must have had a sale on one type and colour of glass.

I agree 100% - I’m so tired of repetitious glass boxes - has anyone been to "City Place" recently? Yuk - at least art deco buildings have tremendous character - as does our "Uptown".

Steak to me.

Uptown has as much character as a fast food burger. If it was "steak", I'd expect to would be clad in real stone, not precast. And that would be a cheap "steak", because the tower is without any ornamentation. So it has some setbacks. CityPlace buildings have tend to have original details that give them more character than the generic Faux Deco tower. Luna, for instance, has that curved facade with seemingly randomly placed vertical elements. The colourful lighting is unique too.

What I hate the most is how the first reaction tend to be "it looks so Manhattan". So much for building character in Toronto.

Back