Wow, Puente de Luz's colour sure has faded from banana exterior to banana interior over the last seven years. A pic of mine from 2013:

p1330839-jpg.14829

In all fairness, it wasn't an attractive bridge when it was brand new. Like many things Toronto builds, it's functional but bare bones ugly. Design, beauty, refinement, etc. are slowly becoming part of the culture here but too often it's an after thought and viewed as frivolous extravagance. That shiny fire engine red pedestrian bridge Calgary built is many notches nicer. This is an example of healthy competition lifting all boats. Maybe next time Toronto builds another pedestrian bridge they'll look at the disparity between the 2 and say "perhaps we can do a little better this time around'.

In all fairness, it wasn't an attractive bridge when it was brand new. Like many things Toronto builds, it's functional but bare bones ugly. Design, beauty, refinement, etc. are slowly becoming part of the culture here but too often it's an after thought and viewed as frivolous extravagance. That shiny fire engine red pedestrian bridge Calgary built is many notches nicer. This is an example of healthy competition lifting all boats. Maybe next time Toronto builds another pedestrian bridge they'll look at the disparity between the 2 and say "perhaps we can do a little better this time around'.

If the Fort York bridge is any indication, the answer is a clear no.

It's from a design competition overseen by Concord, nuff said.

On another note re: the Well - I wonder what special hoops they had to jump though to implement that glass elevator shaft.

AoD

Yeah, Shopify have always had expansion rights in their lease. Whether they're choosing to exercise them, in contrast to their recent claims about 'WFH is the new normal', is the real story here...

Yeah, Shopify have always had expansion rights in their lease. Whether they're choosing to exercise them, in contrast to their recent claims about 'WFH is the new normal', is the real story here...

I wouldn't be surprised if that move was announced without consulting employees - my guess is they received substantial internal pushback. That announcement really read (at least to me) as a CEO perhaps a bit out of touch with their workforce.

Amazing as always Red planet, thank you.

Think RioCan will owe you a few drinks from the well after construction completion (or maybe a gratis 2 bedroom for access to the 147,843 photos) 🎁

Does anyone know if there was ever any discussion on a future PATH connection to The Well Project and the King Mountain projects? I can't find any information on plans for future connections. Other than the Northwest along University. If Spadina and Front are to become Union Station 2 -- more connections to the rest of the system might be in order.

Back