Sorry - what exactly is being built that wasn't shown on drawings?

Building-A-Elev.png

I think it's a reasonable assumption that not every single person on here has reviewed the final plans for every elevation of every building in the development. And there's also a difference between expressing surprise and expressing disappointment.

If people are still expressing surprise that what is being built is different from a years old marketing rendering after having been a member here for years - then I dunno what to say.

The built form is amazing, and that's about it, everything else is such a disappointment. Will be interesting to see how the ground level is executed re: finishings, that's really the only thing I can see saving it.

Sorry - what exactly is being built that wasn't shown on drawings?

Building-A-Elev.png
Did I mention drawings? Why so defensive? Are you involved in this project?

The finishes and details are dog shit. Brutally VE'd. This is like a Kingston Road or Sheppard Ave quality of execution on Wellington Street. And you know it is pure greed or at best apathy because Woodbourne bought the two easternmost midrise buildings (the ones we can see so far) for $126 per SF of residential GFA which is an absolute steal for this location and within this complex.

Extremely disappointing work from Wallman Architects and Woodbourne.

We have not seen the Tridel midrise yet.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that not every single person on here has reviewed the final plans for every elevation of every building in the development. And there's also a difference between expressing surprise and expressing disappointment.
To be fair, I am disappointed...we should not be enabling/justifying shoddy design and/or cheapening corner cuttings, even if it's in the plans. I can say for certainty that I am in no way surprised though.

The window wall on the residential buildings is just as terrible as the curtain wall on the office tower. A big disappointment for what I expected to be a signature, legacy project for all involved.
I was hoping for window wall with mullions that were at least flush and matching in colour to the spandrel panels.

Unfortunately it's the standard glossy plastic looking fare with mismatched colors.

One small positive is that I do prefer this teal vision glass over the standard grey dishwater or washed out blue window wall vision glass.

Last edited:
Some updates on the retail tenants I can share of leases so far (now publicly available here). Most of this was hinted at already but here is a confirmation on the locations of things. The more exciting part is how much more of the retail is now in discussion, so there will be a lot more information to share soon.

I am hoping for the best in this part of the discussion process as much of the spaces are now in negotiations, but the pandemic may be scaring away more interesting retail. Riocan and Allied have large ties with a wide array of tenants, so I imagine they will try their best to get a good range beyond the typic range of tenants in most new builds. So far things are looking decently interesting, besides the two banks and a dentist (who isn't locked on a lease yet).

From the top down here's the updated list.

Second Floor:

Highlights include some of the cuisines for the flagship spaces (concepts by Oliver & Bonacini), and the Sweat and Tonic which was confirmed already. Many of the spaces up here are in discussions with prospective tenants, including the other two flagship restaurant spaces.

1618975989934.png

Ground Floor:

Highlights include Quantum Coffee which was hinted at (unsure if they are moving or keeping their other location at King), and Scotiabank. Most of the ground floor is now in discussions with different tenants, along with a few offers.
1618976310966.png

Basement:

Highlights include: BMO, Shoppers and more confirmation on the "entertainment themed dining" space which we've seen referred to as The National on other documents (possibly affiliated with the Calgary National but I won't confirm)
1618976015377.png

Last edited:
As has been mentioned before in these pages, this project is more of a "sum of the whole is greater than the parts" kinda deal. Obviously, the materials have been disappointing, other than the brick precast. Hopefully the retail, entertainment and ground level design are done well.

Some updates on the retail tenants I can share of leases so far (now publicly available here). Most of this was hinted at already but here is a confirmation on the locations of things. The more exciting part is how much more of the retail is now in discussion, so there will be a lot more information to share soon.

I am hoping for the best in this part of the discussion process as much of the spaces are now in negotiations, but the pandemic may be scaring away more interesting retail. Riocan and Allied have large ties with a wide array of tenants, so I imagine they will try their best to get a good range beyond the typic range of tenants in most new builds. So far things are looking decently interesting, besides the two banks and a dentist (who isn't locked on a lease yet).

From the top down here's the updated list.

Second Floor:

Highlights include some of the cuisines for the flagship spaces (concepts by Oliver & Bonacini), and the Sweat and Tonic which was confirmed already. Many of the spaces up here are in discussions with prospective tenants, including the other two flagship restaurant spaces.

View attachment 314088

Ground Floor:

Highlights include Quantum Coffee which was hinted at (unsure if they are moving or keeping their other location at King), and Scotiabank. Most of the ground floor is now in discussions with different tenants, along with a few offers.
View attachment 314090

Basement:

Highlights include: BMO, Shoppers and more confirmation on the "entertainment themed dining" space which we've seen referred to as The National on other documents (possibly affiliated with the Calgary National but I won't confirm)
View attachment 314089
What happened to the grocery store?

As has been mentioned before in these pages, this project is more of a "sum of the whole is greater than the parts" kinda deal. Obviously, the materials have been disappointing, other than the brick precast. Hopefully the retail, entertainment and ground level design are done well.
Agreed. And remember that the retail, entertainment and ground level are all done by BDP. Architects with Adamson Associates so a different design team from the office tower (Hariri Pontarini / Adamson) and the residential (Wallman midrises and architects–Alliance towers IIRC). We will also have the added quality (hopefully) of Claude Cormier design at the ground level. So it is very plausible that the ground plane will be of higher quality, which will make the work above especially embarrassing to all involved. Fingers crossed that the most important part of this project emerges better than what we are seeing so far.

Did I mention drawings? Why so defensive? Are you involved in this project?

The finishes and details are dog shit. Brutally VE'd. This is like a Kingston Road or Sheppard Ave quality of execution on Wellington Street. And you know it is pure greed or at best apathy because Woodbourne bought the two easternmost midrise buildings (the ones we can see so far) for $126 per SF of residential GFA which is an absolute steal for this location and within this complex.

Extremely disappointing work from Wallman Architects and Woodbourne.

We have not seen the Tridel midrise yet.

No - you mentioned renderings which was the basis of my post. As @ProjectEnd mentioned - buildings aren't being built of a rendering design - they are built using drawings. Not sure how you can VE a rendering which isn't a design document.

The architectural drawings for these two buildings have been online on the city development site for well over 2 years and they have shown the extent of the spandrel in the window wall system which is what I posted.

Similiarly the Tridel midrise drawings are online.

ouZbfLz.png

ouZbfLz.png

YDnedo6.png

YDnedo6.png

Sorry if it seemed like I jumped on you - but the whole "this isn't what the renderings promised" argument made in every thread on the forum is a very, very tired one.

My understanding regarding the glass on the office tower is that it is a very high quality curtainwall system (antamex I think?) but with a poor glass/coating selection. It's not really fair to say it's bad quality - it's a material selection fumble. As is the spandrel on the midrises... Not bad quality, but a better colour selection for the panels would have done wonders to help minimize this. aA is generally quite good at this with spandrel on east 55 and st lawrence condos being barely noticeable, but wallman not so much.

I think we need to wait for more finishes to be applied and until I make a final call, but right now I am not really worried about how this will turn out.

Back