You're right. Our embarrassingly fragile-and-in-decline social service network needs a robust injection of cash at all levels of government.

Agreed, 100%

As I just noted in another thread; OW provides a miserable and miserly $733 per month for a single adult with no children. ODSP provides a bit over $1200.

Neither is enough to rent a room in Toronto, never mind a studio apartment; nor does it allow for actually eating, having a phone, or buying so much as a pair of socks. I would say it's comically low, but there's nothing funny about the impact of such stinginess.

Add to that the lack of proper mental healthcare that's easily and quickly accessible; and insufficient affordable housing; and it's easy to see why homelessness has almost tripled during the last decade.

...and to bring it all back to the subject line, better income redistribution would give needed retail that's moving into The Well digs a bigger boost by having more paying customers. You know, trickle up as opposed to trickle down.

Plus more comfortable park benches are always needed here, regardles of whether conservative types have pointless issues with them or not. Just saying.

And why shouldn't unhoused people use benches? Aren't they citizens of the city, as well? Or is there an income cut off for bench use in the city?

I almost never see unhoused people use benches in the city. Most unhoused people are more likely to sit on subway grates (because they are warm) or lie in a place where they can remain undisturbed.
With that kind of attitude you would not have any seats on transit or in libraries. Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater. There are now FAR more and far more comfortable benches in Berczy Park - it does not seem to have more homeless using them that before the renovation - in fact far fewer.
That was a joke. I guess it's hard to get the tone from a written message.

That was a joke. I guess it's hard to get the tone from a written message.
...especially when you gave no indication it was one. Especially when there are those that post that and are completely serious about it. So yeah.

At least the replies weren't joking around, thankfully.

So those benches edging the flower beds on Wellington look good, but won't prevent off-leash dogs from running underneath and taking a poop.

Off leash dogs beyond designated off leash areas is a city-wide problem. Entitled 'Karen' dog owners think the rules just don't apply to them.

Last edited:
that globe and mail doorway.

20230222_084639.jpg

I got a great tour today of the Well from the very top of 8 Spadina (O&B restaurant) all the way down to the Enwave tank room on P7. Quite incredible but still lots of work to do. It is going to be a race to finish for the official November 17th Grand Opening later this year. There is just so much going on and after watching this construction now for over 7 years, I’m really hopeful about the development. Kudos to all the developers and design teams.
Is November the retail opening date?

Are there any plans for the City to use S37 money to expropriate the parking lots in front of the buildings between the Well and Victoria Square to extend the landscaped boulevard?
the city already owns those lots, which operate via permit on the City Right of Way.

Many of them, though not quite all, will be closed and turned into a landscaped boulevard in the next year or two.

Are there any plans for the City to use S37 money to expropriate the parking lots in front of the buildings between the Well and Victoria Square to extend the landscaped boulevard?

Insertnamehere is correct - it is not needed. The remaining to parking lots in front of the buildings between Draper and Portland are already City property, currently being used as by the adjoining building owners as licensed boulevard parking. The section in front of Portland Commons is to be redeveloped into landscaped boulevard by Ellis Don (general contractor for the Portland Commons development) as part of their delivery of the overall project - it is part of the redevelopment agreement with the City. The section in front of the building immediately west of the Draper Street / Wellington West intersection is to be be redeveloped into landscaped boulevard when the already approved residential building by Lifetime is finally built.

Last edited:
Insertnamehere is correct - it is not needed. The remaining to parking lots in front of the buildings between Draper and Portland are already City property, currently being used as by the adjoining building owners as licensed boulevard parking. The section in front of Portland Commons is to be redeveloped into landscaped boulevard by Ellis Don (general contractor for the Portland Commons development) as part of their delivery of the overall project - it is part of the redevelopment agreement with the City. The section in front of the building immediately west of the Draper Street / Wellington West intersection is to be be redeveloped into landscaped boulevard when the already approved residential building by Lifetime s finally built.
Ah, great stuff! Now for the projects around Clarence Square to kick off. Hehe

Back