Wow your very talented! Most pictures of the Well are greats, but these pictures just stunning!
Thank you! Kind words but, honestly, I feel a beautiful subject under the right light can make up 90% of the aesthetics of a photo (of course composition helps). And there are certainly many beautiful 'subjects' here!

Thank you! Kind words but, honestly, I feel a beautiful subject under the right light can make up 90% of the aesthetics of a photo (of course composition helps). And there are certainly many beautiful 'subjects' here!

Nailed it - lighting is almost everything in a photo then composition. But it takes a talented photographer to get this right and you have and I don't think it's any fluke!

Did the residential portions of the Well beginning construction before the province banned all glass exteriors. I believe the most residential building can have is 40% now.
If not, how are they getting away with a much higher window wall component. I assume the smaller buildings are doing double duty to bring down the glass content so the towers can have more glass.

I never was a fan of the province making this change and it is why i believe a lot of the newer towers since this change came into effect look subpar. The well is the only development since the change that looks to have more glass as in older buildings that were able to have 100% glass to my eye.

for example we got exteriors like 18 Yonge in the past with near 100% glass exteriors and now we get 11 YV, 88 Queens, Social at Church, 199 Church which are all doing inventive things to reduce the glass content of their exteriors

18 Yonge beside 11YV
img_5364d-jpeg.486549

88 Queen
ABXSgvJq8H.jpeg

Social at Church + Dundas and 199 Church

img_9435-jpeg.492592

Last edited:
I haven't lived in an all-glass tower, but I've read many complaints of units becoming too hot or too cold and high energy bills. The proponents of glass towers will tell you that the glass has gas between the panes for insulation.

But that won't be as effective for insulating the building as brick, stone, or precast panels, especially as the seals break down and the gas starts to be released. Developers should have shifted to using to more brick, precast, and stone to meet the new building code requirements instead of trashy spandrel panels.

I haven't lived in an all-glass tower, but I've read many complaints of units becoming too hot or too cold and high energy bills. The proponents of glass towers will tell you that the glass has gas between the panes for insulation.

But that won't be as effective for insulating the building as brick, stone, or precast panels, especially as the seals break down and the gas starts to be released. Developers should have shifted to using to more brick, precast, and stone to meet the new building code requirements instead of trashy spandrel panels.

well it was obviously they would got to the most cost effective method to meet the new regulations.
Now we are getting plenty of subpar towers going up.
but leads to my original question of how is the well getting away it all glass.

But, but...The City "didn't drop the ball" according to that linked article in question...

/ptptptptpttt

But, but...The City "didn't drop the ball" according to that linked article in question...

/ptptptptpttt
The City "didn't drop the ball" according to the RULES and SCORE-KEEPING methods that City Hall used in 2017...

Lot's of people THEN (and even NOW) --- don't really consider "Affordable Housing" to be a REAL "Community Benefit" --- it's just that the folks in the Suburbs say it "out-loud" more than the folks in TO Core do...

There's a strong bias that a REAL "Community Benefit" - is something that the WHOLE Community can use (eg. Daycare, Library, Splash Pad, Dog Park, Public Art, etc) - and therefore, new "Affordable Rental" units are an after-thought once the REAL stuff is secured.

Back