E81649A6-8CA8-4EE4-BE30-ED3C4DB369BF.jpeg
4DF93E24-41DC-4A6D-BF2F-52B58ECBBC7C.jpeg

seems more like a standard North American food court than a European style food hall
really? The only national chain I see is Chatime, and you'd be hard-pressed to consider that a major national chain. I don't see Mcdonald's in there yet. Nor any of the ubiquitous MTY Group brands that make up most North American food courts.

So far, these are primarily independent or chef-driven concepts with at most a couple of stores in Toronto.

really? The only national chain I see is Chatime, and you'd be hard-pressed to consider that a major national chain. I don't see Mcdonald's in there yet. Nor any of the ubiquitous MTY Group brands that make up most North American food courts.

So far, these are primarily independent or chef-driven concepts with at most a couple of stores in Toronto.

I never stated that they were national chains.

Rosies burger, nord Lyon, Isabella donuts, sweetie pie. these places already have locations pretty close to the well already so it’s not all that exciting

Knowing Toronto Hydro's history of doing things, i'd actually prefer that they didn't bury the wires. It may asthetically unpleasing, but it's better than having these wonderful sidewalks hacked up by them over and over again.
Though there are exceptions for 'emergencies' the City actually has a 5-year moratorium on digging up new roads or sidewalks for utility work.

"Moratorium on Newly Improved Streets To ensure the long-term sustainability of the City’s infrastructure, the General Manager enforces a moratorium on all newly improved streets. The moratorium ensures that the integrity of the pavement structure is protected and also serves to minimise the disruptions and inconvenience to the public resulting from repeated construction activity. Scope The moratorium applies to the enhancement, maintenance, repair or replacement of existing plant and construction of new plant which may undermine the integrity of the newly improved street infrastructure. Unless otherwise stated the moratorium applies to the whole street, from property line to property line. The expiry of the moratorium shall be measured from December 31 of the calendar year in which the improvement was performed. Duration The moratorium shall apply: Within five years from the date of: • maintenance or repair work undertaken on roads, curbs, sidewalks, and boulevards • construction, reconstruction, maintenance or repair of embankments, handrails of highway bridges, rail bridges, pedestrian bridges and culverts." From: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/967c-ecs-specs-mcr-MCRAug2021.pdf

Speak for yourself, all of these are exciting to me.
Yeah, I don't get out to the west end that often these days, but there's enough interesting stuff there that once it's open, I will definitely be going to check it out. I think this will be a really great addition to the city, even if there are a couple of small and larger chains involved.

Others have noted it too but why, oh why, are there still overhead Toronto Hydro wires and transformers on this block (Spadina to Draper) of Wellington ? Let's hope TH has plans to SOON bury them - well, one can hope!
These ugly hydro poles are among the final remnants of this areas more industrial past. It’s crazy how rapid the transformation has been.

Retail seems a bit underwhelming. Personally I was hoping for shops but it seems it's mostly services—especially that second floor—and dining.
Yes, I'd have liked to see more shops too. It seems retail is disappearing all over the city and not being replaced. I love restaurants too, but sometimes I'd like to buy stuff in the real world and not just online.

Though there are exceptions for 'emergencies' the City actually has a 5-year moratorium on digging up new roads or sidewalks for utility work.

"Moratorium on Newly Improved Streets To ensure the long-term sustainability of the City’s infrastructure, the General Manager enforces a moratorium on all newly improved streets. The moratorium ensures that the integrity of the pavement structure is protected and also serves to minimise the disruptions and inconvenience to the public resulting from repeated construction activity. Scope The moratorium applies to the enhancement, maintenance, repair or replacement of existing plant and construction of new plant which may undermine the integrity of the newly improved street infrastructure. Unless otherwise stated the moratorium applies to the whole street, from property line to property line. The expiry of the moratorium shall be measured from December 31 of the calendar year in which the improvement was performed. Duration The moratorium shall apply: Within five years from the date of: • maintenance or repair work undertaken on roads, curbs, sidewalks, and boulevards • construction, reconstruction, maintenance or repair of embankments, handrails of highway bridges, rail bridges, pedestrian bridges and culverts." From: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/967c-ecs-specs-mcr-MCRAug2021.pdf
That's definitely a load of croc from the city. It's a nice policy...if they actually followed it.

For instance, I cant tell you the number of times over the past year or two where Kipling Ave from Lake Shore to Horner has been hacked up for either, sewer work, water work, electrical work, etc. This is not even 5 years after the road was reconstructed. But then maybe they are just classiying that work as an "emergency" to get around that moratorium.

Back