Those should be the existing Victorian rowhouses on Widmer St already in place. I've always felt that if properly restored and formatted, those had potential for some interesting Yorkville style retail/mixed-use spaces.

Ya, since they didn't really say what they're going to do with them.

Those should be the existing Victorian rowhouses on Widmer St already in place. I've always felt that if properly restored and formatted, those had potential for some interesting Yorkville style retail/mixed-use spaces.

At this point, I suspect that the townhomes, when reconstructed, will most likely be residential. The reason being is that as currently constructed, and if reconstructed in the same form, they would unfortunately not meet current handicap accessibility requirements. So - the choice is to either bastardize the current form of the units - bring them down to level access from the street, so they could be used for mixed use / retail purposes, or keep them in the same form, which would restrict their use to residential purposes. At least, this was the situation which I asked about the townhouse units at an earlier community consultation meeting on the project, a while ago now (prior to Plaza acquiring the site).

At this point, I suspect that the townhomes, when reconstructed, will most likely be residential. The reason being is that as currently constructed, and if reconstructed in the same form, they would unfortunately not meet current handicap accessibility requirements. So - the choice is to either bastardize the current form of the units - bring them down to level access from the street, so they could be used for mixed use / retail purposes, or keep them in the same form, which would restrict their use to residential purposes. At least, this was the situation which I asked about the townhouse units at an earlier community consultation meeting on the project, a while ago now (prior to Plaza acquiring the site).

The site plan does indeed have these marked as being residential. Also - demolition has begun on the sales centre :)

Demo of the sales centre has begun:

49CDAD7C-DA44-4654-98A0-FCD3F3A4D0A5.jpeg
4FD47956-7C3E-48AD-B812-B38419B8A1D0.jpeg
0E71DFA2-770A-4E3C-B5E6-69DD09DB1A93.jpeg
32E95D37-D3D0-499E-BA68-C1237ECE08FF.jpeg

It might be too early for this, but does anyone know/have any ideas what hotel might go in here?

Ohhhh, BlogTO...

Naturally, they've selected Toronto for the privilege—and specifically a newly-built modern tower block in Toronto's Financial District.
In this case, blame Riu's PR: they say 'Finacial District' in their release, and BogTO are just verbatimitizing that.

I like the general design, but they're trying to cram way too much onto a tiny site. This parcel was better suited to a one-tower plan.

If you look at the architectural plans, they don't come close to meeting the 25-metre separation distance between the proposed towers and it's even worse with respect to the Hyatt and condo on Peter Street. I don't know if this has already received approval, but I think it's unfortunate.

Last edited:
it's approved, yes.

Generally the OMB has been found to be open to reduced tower setbacks in the Entertainment District. 20m between towers is the generally accepted standard - the Park Hyatt isn't technically a "tall building" as well so 15m is the minimum.

Back