I passed by this site yesterday and was surprised that it’s actually smaller than the Design Haus site just a block away (next to the library).

20180331_154814.jpg

20180331_154929.jpg

Attachments

• 20180331_154814.jpg
    20180331_154814.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 677
  • 20180331_154929.jpg
    20180331_154929.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 665
Even the current building that is being torn down felt tall for the site. Not that the current building was some great design. It was interesting in a way, with its extended frame. Does this developer just look for sites that they can ram through massive density upgrades? I hope the new rules encourage more compromise between density and surrounding neighbourhood. The city seemed reasonable at 17 storeys for a proposed height. I hope this does not mean 30 storeys all along College. That would be a big decrease in character. A streetcar line does not have a huge capacity to support that sort of density.

Even the current building that is being torn down felt tall for the site. Not that the current building was some great design. It was interesting in a way, with its extended frame. Does this developer just look for sites that they can ram through massive density upgrades? I hope the new rules encourage more compromise between density and surrounding neighbourhood. The city seemed reasonable at 17 storeys for a proposed height. I hope this does not mean 30 storeys all along College. That would be a big decrease in character. A streetcar line does not have a huge capacity to support that sort of density.

This is 350m to Queen’s Park Station, or a 5 minute walk, so I would say this density here is appropriate.

The height and the density being built here will completely redefine the neighbourhood. Good or bad, such a landmark decision shouldn't be based on the close proximity of a subway station. This is an established neighbourhood with decent densities. It's not a greenfield TOD opportunity. The average TOD, a tall point tower on a large podium would also be lucky to achieve half the density being built here.

The height and the density being built here will completely redefine the neighbourhood. Good or bad, such a landmark decision shouldn't be based on the close proximity of a subway station. This is an established neighbourhood with decent densities. It's not a greenfield TOD opportunity. The average TOD, a tall point tower on a large podium would also be lucky to achieve half the density being built here.

What should that decision be based on though if not higher order transit, or that it is adjacent to numerous massive employers (UofT, hospitals) or that there is a young population that wants to live closer to where they go to school?

Is it more important that we keep 2-3 story buildings here (acknowledging this site was originally more than 3 stories but the general area is) or build more homes for people near where they work and learn?

Last edited:
So either I didn't look at the renders very closely or what, but I'm surprised: this development I think looks quite good. If the renders are a true indication of the podium, this might actually not crowd the street but instead open it up.

The podium does have potential. I have a feeling a fair amount of spandrel with be sneaking in once it is built. IMO, The tower has an unattractive bulky mass with a cheap wallpaper pattern. It's demanding articulation. It's potential is as a deconstructed Teeple tower.

Back