Many of us believe that as public land, it should serve a public purpose rather than a private interest.
One might suggest that a for-profit venture (let's go blue jays) ;-) can serve a certain public purpose... in this case by providing downtown families a pretty wonderful winter recreational amenity option, that is not located a few hundred snow drifts away at Canada's Wonderland. A simple survey could capture just how "many" (thousands?) would love a little Caribbean getaway, precisely because of its location... which is presently under-utilized, particularly in winter (when it's frequented by hundreds?).... unless of course there's a concert*.
The parking lot at Canada's Wonderland might be just the spot!
*Speaking of all season concerts, (ahem... Therme aside for a sec), why no discussion about the Live Nation component? The concert venue looks stunning imo.

Thanks for your erudite, well-considered post NL. I'm just wondering how many of the silent majority might press the yes button in support of this.

Best regards
Devil's junior Advocate

Last edited:
Between John Lorinc over at Spacing; and Matt Elliott........this thing just got smoked every which way.............

This info is from Matt's Lobbyist Watch; via John Lorinc: (read the details below, but in short, some very suspect connections between Ford, Tory and Therme)

1659580824676.png

From there, Lorinc has a piece up on Spacing simply dissing the OP makeover, but especially Therme on the Merits:

This is John's characterization of the scheme in a nutshell:

an epic failure that serves as a rebuke to more than a quarter of a century of civic-minded waterfront revitalization.

Further commentary:

The effect is this thing, as well as the expanded Live Nation concert venue, is to create a pair of looming, glacier-sized hulks blocking access to, and views of, the waterfront. They will look like a couple of beached whales.

I'll take one last paragraph whole, and then encourage everyone to just follow the link above for the rest:

1659581127340.png

It's not an opposition to saunas or pools or what have you.

It's a combination of things that will vary by the poster; but in general:

Many of us believe that as public land, it should serve a public purpose rather than a private interest.

Many also take issue w/this particular private purpose (indoor tropical beach), on a space that was created to celebrate Ontario, which is not tropical.

Quite a few would say that more of the site needs to be outdoors and accessible freely to everyone.

While there are quite a few who doubt that the arguably most redeeming elements of the proposal from an architectural perspective will come off as contemplated.

Therme, in much of Europe is more a suburban/ex-urban phenomenon akin to Wonderland (indoors) or a super-sized Great Wolf Lodge.

It just seems an awkward fit here.

The parking lot at Canada's Wonderland might be just the spot!
Thank you for the detailed reply. I suppose since there were fees to enter the amusement park and water park that used to occupy the same space, I didn't really see it as much different. Maybe we could push for sumac trees instead of palms? (Kidding)

Last edited:
...like with all previous bathhouses in this city, this spa should be located in discrete building in a not so used location where the only who know know where it is. Perhaps then Doug, John, Mark, et al can spend time enjoying the fruits of their endeavors in such a facility in all its privacy and intimacy with their "new" Austrian friends away from the public conscious and cold winds of scrutiny. Sparing us all from this proposed blight on our beloved OP landscape for generations to come.

I think John Lorinc's point about heating/cooling is really indicative as to the fantasy of this proposal. I have doubts that they can construct what is rendered for the $$$ they claim to be spending. All of the existing Therme spas are located in mild continental weather zones, germany, romania, england, etc... none have been in a true northern climate. Toronto weather is a whole different animal. It would require tremendous amounts of energy and engineering to keep a glass walled atrium of that size heated to 25C+ December to March and also cooled during 40C heatwaves during July and August. I wish Therme had another spa already built in a northern climate, would give us more confidence.

Normally, during an election, I will post campaign promises strictly in the relevant political thread; but as this policy idea is specific to this thread, I think it merits posting here as an interesting idea.

Gil Penalosa out with a promise to negotiate a land swap with the province, and give them a chunk of Exhibition Place, on which they can park Therme if they want; and the City would take ownership of a large chunk of Ontario Place, and make it a public park with no admission fee; and there would be an international design competition.

From the above:

1661957759314.png

1661957812450.png

Last edited:
Kind of brilliant solution... except for impacts on the CNE (ironic timing for the Ex?).

I concur, it's not ideal for the Ex, and we'd have to see a visualized layout of the impact.

But if I had to trade some aging midway that is mostly empty/parking for the bulk of the year to save a key waterfront spot.........I think I'm game.

Normally, during an election, I will post campaign promises strictly in the relevant political thread; but at this policy idea is specific to this thread, I think it merits posting here as an interesting idea.

Gil Penalosa out with a promise to negotiate a land swap with the province, and give them a chunk of Exhibition Place, on which they can park Therme if they want; and the City would take ownership of a large chunk of Ontario Place, and make it a public park with no admission fee; and there would be an international design competition.

From the above:

View attachment 424107

View attachment 424108

Aww they want to swap land to put in a park.. how cute.

Seriously though, it makes accessing it even harder.

In the detailed attachments, there's a monorail from the 27 storey "Rob & Doug" all-season ferris wheel that will be atop of the new Ontario Line Exhibition Station stop.

90 second ride from the Exhibition ferris wheel to the new OP park. Apparently the monorail trip will be exciting and aFFordable.

Seriously, Richard?

Making what more difficult to access?

The Ontario Place that would be erased and not there at all?

Or the Therme, which would be moved closer to transit?

Putting aside that I wouldn't trust this government on anything as far as I could throw them...

...it would be nice if the new municipal tenants could utilize all those geodesic structures remaining into the swapped park portion when all is said and done.

In the detailed attachments, there's a monorail from the 27 storey "Rob & Doug" all-season ferris wheel that will be atop of the new Ontario Line Exhibition Station stop.

90 second ride from the Exhibition ferris wheel to the new OP park. Apparently the monorail trip will be exciting and aFFordable.
Wait, I thought the monorail was the attraction and the ferris wheel was the rapid transit!?

The city badly needs more and more accessible parkland. The CNE is mostly a parking lot except for the stadium ( a plus), the trade centre (still a plus although the future of large scale trade shows is muted these days), the Royal Winter Fair ( still a major plus for many of us with a rural root or two), some related exhibition spaces (Liberty Grand, so a muted yes), some related historical sites, and then the Indy (ummm , not sure how I would vote on this one, as an F1 type of race, it’s a bit second rate). I‘m only trading CNE space as a last resort to preserve waterfront. I would rather push to make Premier Fords follies fit into the existing site, while increasing access to the site and to the waterfront, or perhaps parking the follies on the rail deck?

Back