A slightly related historical note about the name “Zorra”: Zorra is a township in Oxford County, southwestern Ontario. This is part of a wider area that was once called the “Scotch Block” because the majority of early European settlers were Scots farmers. In the 1870’s Tug of war was a popular sport and a group of local farmers formed a team. They defeated all their local rivals over the years and in 1888 won the American Championship in Buffalo. In 1893, they competed at the Chicago World’s Fair. Despite the fact that the men from Zorra were in their late forties by this point and were outweighed by their American rivals, the “Mighty Men of Zorra” prevailed and took the nearest equivalent of a world championship. Highland Games are still held annually in Embro, in the township featuring, as one might expect, a Tug of War contest.

View attachment 420694

My guess is that the street was named in honour of those determined farmers. Though, of course, it is entirely possible that the name simply honours a developer or other figure who was raised in Zorra.
PS. Economist and diplomat John Kenneth Galbraith wrote a book about his upbringing in the Scotch Block, called, “The Scotch.”

My Spanish-speaking friends can’t stop laughing that there’s a Zorra St in Toronto. Zorra literally means ‘vixen’ (female fox) in Spanish, but the more colloquial use is, say we shall, a bit saltier than the use of vixen to refer to certain females in English.

...ones with 9 tails are much more interesting.

LOL, so that’s what Zorra means. I am taking an online Spanish course and that hasn’t come up yet. I can understand why!

I have no idea how a region settled chiefly by Scots got that name!

For anyone wondering, Altree is indeed very proud of this project. To the point of heavily marketing it moreso then other projects in their portfolio.

Aug 14
DJI_0622.JPG
DJI_0627.JPG
DJI_0631.JPG
DJI_0626.JPG

Screenshot_20220921-131559_Instagram.jpg

I'm starting to wonder why some developers even bother using semi-unique floor designs, if only to waste the design in the end by choosing cladding where you can barely notice the overall intended effect. Seems like a waste of money to me.

I'm starting to wonder why some developers even bother using semi-unique floor designs, if only to waste the design in the end by choosing cladding where you can barely notice the overall intended effect. Seems like a waste of money to me.
I guess it all depends on where you're standing while looking at the building, plus where the light is hitting the building. Judging by AlbertC's photo he posted of the glazing, the building appears to have "texture". Even with the glass balconies installed. It's just that you only notice if you're walking by and standing underneath the building. For people driving down the QEW or up the the Islington bridge, all you're going to see is a giant box.

Back