I work here. Looks good to me! Especially the glass during the sun. Wait before judging, it isn't even half done!
It's partly the fact that 'it isn't even half done' that worries me. It is already looming over the neighbourhood and the prospect of it being twice the loom is , frankly, scary!

1635884513965.png

This is just one of many projects that will rise in the area. The King East neighborhood will look quite different in a few more years.

I was just looking into the "courtyard" while on my way to trick or treat on Longboat Lane the other day, and that is going to be one immense cavern when it's done.

But still, 1600 new families in the neighbourhood is good for everyone.

Everyone deserves better. But we work with what we have, and this is an improvement on what we had before.

Everyone deserves better. But we work with what we have, and this is an improvement on what we had before.
That's a low bar to set though, frankly almost anything would be better than what was on this site before.

You keep saying this but it REALLY could have been SO much better and Pemberton could still have made money. Keeping on saying that a piece of crap is better than a parking lot because it will provide housing is really aiming VERY low.

You keep saying this but it REALLY could have been SO much better and Pemberton could still have made money. Keeping on saying that a piece of crap is better than a parking lot because it will provide housing is really aiming VERY low.
I think it may be premature to call it a piece of crap ... as has been the case with several buildings that got panned early but turned out better than expected.

I've walked past it often, and although there are materials I'm not sold on, the overall feel is not as imposing as people were implying it would be. So far, the setbacks work well and the courtyard is nice. The Front St portion is TBD, but won't feel out of place imo, relative to the size of the Globe building across from it.

The courtyard is not going to be nice. No one will ever likely spend time there. It will probably be like the courtyard in the building across from it on Princess, which has a playground used by a handful of kids, and nobody else ever does anything but pass through.

Still, having 1600 families living there is way better than having a car dealership or an empty lot.

It will still be as good as most of the buildings lining Front and Esplanade. The only redeeming feature of most of the buildings on those streets is that they house a lot of people. The only thing that's worse about this building is a 10 storey above ground parking garage.

I have an idea, let's stop photographing this thing, ditch the thread and forget this building even exists. We'll all sleep better at night.

People deserve nice places to live with good design and in an affordable manner. This building mostly demonstrates the opposite of that barring last minute radical changes. So I am sorry we can't agree to that.

I have an idea, let's stop photographing this thing, ditch the thread and forget this building even exists. We'll all sleep better at night.
I would love that, especially at 6:45 every day when they start working. I'd sleep better in the morning, on the few days the toddler will allow it.

Back